Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery?Stator?Reg Rec? Advice Please  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Wanaron

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF 1000-8
  • City / Town: Cannock Staffs
Re: Battery?Stator?Reg Rec? Advice Please
« Reply #10 on: 01 April, 2020, 12:42:30 PM »
Interesting
Cos I have heated grips that are wired direct to battery!
Been like that since I got the bike some 3and a half years ago!
Funnily enough they ain't coming on when pressed for-methinks it's time they were taken off.
Thanks again

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #11 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:21:07 PM »
Heated grips turn off when they detect low voltage, if they fail to come on or switch themselves off increase the RPM (increasing the stator output) assuming there are no other faults present that should over come the low voltage off status. Heated grips switching off at low RPM could be an indication there is a fault with the battery or in the charging system.
« Last Edit: 01 April, 2020, 01:22:21 PM by Art »

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »
That's what happened with my MK1,heated grip light started to say not enough power to work properly, turned them off and a week later the stator gave up the ghost-40 miles from home in a monsoon.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »
Firstly, look at how you have used your bike recently. Short hops will not see the battery regaining the charge it used to start it. Next - how old is the battery? It may well charge up on the optimate fine, but if it then loses that charge quicker than it did, then the battery performance is reducing. Probably the cheapest thing to fix is the battery and certainly the easiest. So if it's a bit long in the tooth, probably money not wasted even if you find the problem lies elsewhere. The fact that the lights do get brighter when you rev the engine does indicate that there is some charging going on.

Second guess would be the stator starting to fail. Again, as you probably know, a known issue and they are readily available (Corvid-19 issues aside).

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #14 on: 01 April, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »
@Bluefox If there is not enough power for the heated grips there is not enough power and turning the grips off is not the answer. The stator should be producing 344W which is more than enough to power everything including the heated grips and re-charging the battery. Your heated grips gave you an early warning and you ignored it.

The symptoms you describe are the same as Wanaron's 11.04v (not enough power) and the tests here proved his battery and charging system to be OK. Similar testing and you would have had an indication when testing the stator output at 5,000 RPM that all was not well, lesson learned.

A £15 to £20 investment in a multimeter will save you that time and time again. At the first sign the battery voltage is low, or better still as part of your maintenance schedule, test the battery and charging system output.

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #15 on: 01 April, 2020, 05:59:13 PM »
Hi Art,I know that now but hindsight is a wonderful thing.I had only had the bike for 3 months,bought from a dealer with the promise that it had just had a full check and full service.As a non mechanic contacted them and they said would be checked next service,never been back since.

Offline Wanaron

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF 1000-8
  • City / Town: Cannock Staffs
« Reply #16 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:05:19 PM »
Going to look in more detail as to why the heated grips are not powering up,
As I've already said Motobatt battery is around 18 months old,and I changed Stator (was fried, died on me 3 miles from home after a 100 miles ride out), and for good measure the reg rec was changed same time.
Mainly a weekend rider but always easily exceeding 30 miles and that's a minimum!

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #17 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
A £15 to £20 investment in a multimeter will save you that time and time again.

£15-20? Extravagant Art  :008:

You can get one at Screwfix for under a tenner. And even some on ebay for a fiver.

All more than capable of testing anything on the Biffer.  :082:

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bluefox [+]
Hi Art,I know that now but hindsight is a wonderful thing.I had only had the bike for 3 months,bought from a dealer with the promise that it had just had a full check and full service.As a non mechanic contacted them and they said would be checked next service,never been back since.

Consider fitting one of these. It doesn't 'stop' anything happening, but can give you a heads up of a failing system. Easy to fit, just two wires. If you don't want to drill any holes anywhere, just cable tie it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-12v-Battery-Voltage-monitor-alternator-Charge-warning-lamp-LED/201810446914?hash=item2efcd70a42:g:oUUAAMXQydtTOs8s

« Last Edit: 01 April, 2020, 11:31:55 PM by Shed »

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #19 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:52:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Heated grips switching off at low RPM could be an indication there is a fault with the battery or in the charging system.

Or it could be a fault in the heated grips on/off switch (control unit) itself.
« Last Edit: 01 April, 2020, 10:57:58 PM by Shed »