Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre pressure 42 psi cold  (Read 537 times)

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
Tyre pressure 42 psi cold
« on: 28 March, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »
Can i assume this is for an average solo rider, and Iíd put more in for a heavy load, 42 psi cold is on the side of the tyre (not prefixed with MAX)

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Tyre pressure 42 psi cold
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »
Both pics from the MK1 Honda manual. No difference according to Honda, or you could check & see what your specific tyre manufacturer says.

Personally, I've always had them at 36 & 42 regardless of load, whether just me, or fully panniered up with top box doing the NC500 and never had any troubles.  :028:

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:39:46 PM »
Thanks  Sheíd, I made the same assumption,until someone told me years ago, that the tyre manufacturer pressure rating was the most important number, itís only now Iím on 2 wheels that Iím taking notice, it didnít seem quite so important before, Iím hoping someone here may work for a tyre company and reveal the proper info🤔👍 myguess itís what the tyre sails

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:05:21 PM »
I wouldn't dwell or worry about it too much Jon.   :084:

The manual says 36 & 42. Some tyre manufacturers tell you to top up a bit when loaded, some don't, and tyre manufacturers also just refer you back to your own bikes manual.  :035:

I've got seven different makes of tyre pressure gauge in the garage and no two of them give exactly the same reading. I tend to use 2 of them the most as my 'favourite' gauges. As long as it's showing 36 & 42 that's good enough for me.

Some people stick an extra 1 or 2 psi in when loaded up, and I say fine to that too. It all works.  :028:

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:40:00 PM »
Good enough for me

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2020, 09:48:32 PM »
A tyre technician from Dunlop told us that a tyre is designed to change its shape with load so doesn't need the '42' psi altered with a changing load. However he also told us that some bike manufacturers insist on a different tyre mix than standard, even if the tyre has the same name and number. Ask people on the NC800 forum what the disastrous speed of wear is for Honda's specifications did for Dunlop!

I reckon tyre manufacturers are the experts, so I stick with their recommendations which, strangely, rarely disagree that 42 psi is 'just right for a sports tourer!

(Of course there are track days, but that is a different ball game!)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2020, 03:51:15 AM »
 :0461: 36/42 whatever the load, wherever the road

In real life I go with 35/40 and then some that way I don't need my reading glasses on hand to read the gauge  :191:
« Last Edit: 12 April, 2020, 03:52:08 AM by Art »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2020, 06:13:11 PM »
Thanks rev ken, I did end up putting the 42 psi in, and I mus say it does feel good, with the suspension notched up to no.5, itís like a different bike, I hope your all staying as cheerful as possible, happy Easter j