Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Full stripdown of a mark 1 biffer  (Read 296 times)

Offline Whirlwind

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Wallasey
Full stripdown of a mark 1 biffer
« on: 19 March, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
Hi all!!
I wonder if anyone on here has ever stripped a mark 1 biffer down to a bare frame??
I am asking because my headstock is buggered beyond repair and I have a replacement frame so I will want to know the best way to tackle it.  A garage or dealer is not an option because of cost. It is a 15K mile 07 bike and is working perfectly.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Full stripdown of a mark 1 biffer
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
Apart from the usual tool kit for such a job you'll need a hoist to hold the frame up (or tether it to a garage roofing joist) and a jack to lower and slide the engine out. Remove engine, remove the front forks, remove the swinging arm and you're about done.

The main sections of the workshop to read are 08 Engine removal, 14 Front wheel, suspension, steering, 15 Rear wheel, suspension, other sections will be required. If you haven't yet got around to it download the workshop manual and/or grab yourself a Haynes 4927.

links

CBF1000A Workshop Manual
Haynes 4927 Manual

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2020, 11:37:41 PM »
The frame is a structural part of the bike. I'd be interest to hear, and see pictures of, how the bikes headstock sustained significant damage as to render it "useless," but managed to avoid going through an insurance claim and subsequently being written off. Post needs more detail.

This is probably the biggest job you could undertake, and the fact you know that a shop would charge sky high rates to do this work tells you as much. You'd probably struggle to find one that would take it on, to be honest.

Is it worth it? Honestly for a bike like the CBF I'd rather suck up the loss and flog it on as a project or spares and repairs: the CBF really isn't an exciting bike while being fully operational. I'd only go so far for it.

But supposing you want to undertake the hours of work, financial cost and the headache of changing the V5 (frame number, reg number etc) then, as above, this is the bit you need:

https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-8%20ENGINE%20REMOVAL-INSTALLATION.pdf

You're going to need a lot of time, tools, effort (at least two people) and patience.

I'd seriously consider if this job needs doing before undertaking it. Seeking a second opinion from local shop at the very least, or more information regarding damage. Be far easier to remove front end (forks, wheel, clocks, stay, fairings etc) and repair frame in situ.

Offline Whirlwind

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2020, 12:00:55 AM »
There is still part of the bottom inner race left in the tube which wont come out. Tried a dremel with a small disc and that was only partially successful. Did fit a new taper roller bearing and managed to get it solid and level. Fitted the rest of the front end and took it out for a test. Seemed ok but the bottom race freed off and forks juddered when gentle braking. Adjusted it and it was ok for a while but soon went out of adjustment. An engineer said it is possible to repair but yhe frame needs to be free so it can be turned upside down to be machined. So I picked up a good frame. I am wondering if it can be stripped like a car (ie undo everthing attaching the motor to the chassis, raising the chassis complete) yhen syripping it and putting it on the new frame. 

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:32:41 PM »
As per my "bob-oils" link above the engine can be removed from the current bikes frame but some things have to be removed to allow for that (all listed step by step in that manual above).

Once you've done that you can then visually follow these videos (this is number 16, you can go backwards and watch from him removing the engine if needed):

He may be speaking German but he knows his way around Honda's etc without issue, and nothing could be a better reference as to how its done.

As I say it will be alot of work, time, patience and expense. Make sure you've got hands spare if something goes wrong. You don't want to injure yourself attempting to remove a heavy engine in a garage if it slips, for example, and no one is around.

Remember you're going to have to renew all bearings, seals, fluids, washers etc where removed on parts that need renewing.

I'd plan for alot of cleaning up of old bolts with a wire brush, and make sure you've got the three main lubes to hand (red rubber, general purpose and copper grease) alongside some thread lock.

I'd treat this as a project and expect to take the time to get it right. You might want to invest in a impact gun so that things like that swingarm bolt and engine mounts can be undone easily rather than wasting time with a ratchet or breaker bar.

There's a fluid called "Worth RUST OFF ICE" that may help with things like exhaust engine mounting stud bolts etc if you encounter some very hard to remove things.

Remember you're taking things apart that probably haven't been touched since being assembled at either the P.D.I or on the production line.

Take plenty of photos from various angles of things now in good light before you start work.

Offline Whirlwind

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
Zams channel I bet. Have watched a load of them in the past. Not worried about time as I have another bike to use (if I am allowed). Far too good to scrap. If we end up with a lockdown then I will be living in my mates workshop !!

Offline Whirlwind

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2020, 05:40:52 PM »
I had already done all that. Had exhausts off changed all fluids overhauled all brakes changed oil in the forks replaced most bolts with stainless etc.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Whirlwind [+]
...I am wondering if it can be stripped like a car (ie undo everthing attaching the motor to the chassis, raising the chassis complete) yhen syripping it and putting it on the new frame.

It was put together, it can be taken apart. Have fun in the process.