Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips not staying stuck  (Read 885 times)

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Re: Heated grips not staying stuck
« Reply #20 on: 25 March, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »
I too use RTV to install grips, but just a thin stripe, makes removing possible later.  To install or remove grips, an air nozzle inserted between the bar and the grip... slightly inflates the grip like a balloon, much better.... 
As for JIS, this is really what you need, but in a pinch you can fake it with a Phillips by grinding a millimeter off the tip to let it go into the head deeper.....
Small JIS bits available from Vessel, ebay, etc.,  or this Canadian guy.. https://www.gofastinnovations.com/

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #21 on: 25 March, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »
JIS vs Phillips screws/screwdrivers the difference is minimal and as above if you grind the point off the end of a Phillips screwdriver the difference is even less, but difference there is. Look carefully at the crosspoints, most noticeable looking at the screw head but can be seen on the screwdriver point too. The JIS screw crosspoints have squarer cut corners, the Phillips screw crosspoints have radius cut corners. It is this radius on Phillips screwdriver that can cause it to cam out when used on JIS screws, especially if some force is required.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #22 on: 25 March, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
 :430:

Just checked and my CBF has PHILLIPS screws securing the bar ends, although I did notice the brake and clutch reservoir caps were secured with JIS screws.

I'll go sit on the naughty step  :003:

« Last Edit: 25 March, 2020, 01:49:46 PM by Art »

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #23 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:08:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
..I'll go sit on the naughty step  :003:
No need; but I would like to highlight it is more than the centre point, there is a angle difference too.

I still found my JIS a better fit than any of the other crosshead bits (tried at the time) for the my end weights.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #24 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »
How has a question on how to fix the grip turned into a 3 page thread?  :008:  :008:

The OP's question was about fixing the grip onto the bar, and the thread has turned into a JIS fest!  :087:

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: 25 March, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
 :mfrlol: Shed. isn’t that what we all love about forums?  :001:

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »
I contacted Oxford for a comment, and they said I’d the bars had been cleaned properly and the right amount of superglue had been used I wouldn’t have had a problem, slimming definitely getting an impact driver and doing it myself, the other reason I’m not taking it back to the garage is that the tank sustained scratches, which made me cross as the bike was in such lovely condition,I just wanted to thank everyone for being so helpful to a biking/ mechanic novice👍👍

diverse-leafy