Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips not staying stuck  (Read 880 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Heated grips not staying stuck
« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
In the past I've used RTV sealant to put grips on, same stuff I use to seal exhaust systems. It goes on wet lubricating the grip so its easy to get them on and  once dried it and sticks like ..., if you ever want the grips off you may need to cut them. As above giving the mating surfaces a light abrade with EMERY PAPER to get a good key can only help .

Using an impact driver to remove a bar end screw is a little over kill. If you have a straight through screwdriver you can just give it a tap with a hammer, holding the screwdriver the wrong way round to get a good rotational purchase then tap and turn and that's exactly what an impact driver does. I'd guess the issue your having is someone has used a thread lock when installing the bar end bolts.

It might also help if you had the right screwdriver for the job. Here in the UK we have two types cross point screwdrivers - Phillips and Pozidrive the difference is in the angle of the cam or cross point. Now in Japan they have a third, they have JIT (Japanese  Industrial Standard) screws and screwdrivers. You can probably make do with a Phillips or a Pozidrive and many do the thing with using a JIT screwdriver is that the risk of camming out and destroying the screw head is greatly reduced.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:20:06 PM »
Toolstation also have a cheap impact driver while you're in there getting the glue.
It's nowt flash & el-cheapo, but it'll easy be good enough for bar weight screws. Not the kind of tool you'll use very often anyway.

https://www.toolstation.com/impact-driver-bit-set/p90581

Or, just nip by any garage and ask a mechanic to give your bar ends a whack to free the screws if you don't want to buy an impact driver. I doubt they'd charge you for that. And if they would, just go and buy your own driver instead.  While you're there scrounge a bit sandpaper, emery cloth, broken file, stanley knife blades, etc, or good old-fashioned house brick to get the old glue off the bars and key up ready for your glue.  :028:

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »
I donít think any of us are going very far for a while r we😡😡

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »
Thanks guys, need to sign off for a while, need to reorganise work, stay safe👍👍

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2020, 11:31:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon the mow [+]
... but couldnít move the Philips screw for love nor money...

Because it is a JIS cross-point head not a Philips (incorrect drivers will cam out).  #2 IIRC (but the steps are small and #1 might do). 
You need the correct driver/s.  When I wanted mine years ago I had to import them from Japan but I'm sure nowadays they are more accessible.  If anyone sees them on a 1/4" (hex) drive though do give me shout as my 00-2 are all on handles complete.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #15 on: 24 March, 2020, 08:47:54 PM »
I've got this set here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bessel-Vessel-Difference-Screwdrivers-No-220w-3/dp/B00E55DL4I/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=vessel+jis&qid=1585082386&s=diy&sr=1-8

Great little set, also perfect fit for the screws on the brake & clutch fluid reservoir caps, which you often see chewed to hell from previous abuse.
Bargain at £12  :028:
« Last Edit: 24 March, 2020, 09:11:49 PM by Shed »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
Iím getting an impact driver and super glue, but what bit specifically fits the job , (jm2 , you may need to tone  down the tech, just a type of bit and a size🥺🥺)I read all your threads with enthusiasm, but most of you talk a different language to me ( banter not criticism)

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:03:50 PM »
Jon, both of the phillips bits in that Toolstation impact driver set will fit, (I've just been outside and tested this to double check). No, they don't fit 'perfectly' but you're just breaking them free, and these bits fit in easily well enough to do that. The bar end screws are large slots and easily take the impact drivers bits, or the #3 bit in the JIS set on the Amazon listing. Phillips & JIS are technically different sizes, but leaving the pedantry aside, a decent large phillips screwdriver that fits 'well' in the slots will do and will get the job done. Both of the bits in the Toolstation cheapo set fit well enough to undo the screws.

Note the JIS set is not an impact set and the bits are quite slender, so if the bar end screws are well stuck and it's some proper leverage you need you may well be better off just using the impact driver (or large phillips screwdriver) to set the screws free.

However, at the moment Toolstation is now closed due to Corona virus, so either get one off ebay, or the JIS set off Amazon.

Or treat yourself to both. Your choice.  :028:
« Last Edit: 24 March, 2020, 09:30:50 PM by Shed »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #18 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »
Thanks Sheíd, I understand every word😂. Iíll wait and get an impact screwdriver, as Iíve got a Philips that fits perfectly, but I had no chance of moving it, thanks again Jon w

Offline cbrog

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #19 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:09:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jon the mow [+]
Thanks NJD, ILL get an impact driver, and use the superglue SHED mentioned, everyone seems to come back to superglue, thanks all, j
Thanks Shed