Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips not staying stuck  (Read 882 times)

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
Heated grips not staying stuck
« on: 22 March, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
When I bought my bike in December, I asked the dealer to fit Oxford heated grips, when I eventually passed my test in February I took it out and the LHS grip started moving after the grips had been on for a while, so back in it went.yesterday I spent a fabulous but chilly day in Brecon and the same happened again.
So does anyone know which glue they should be using, and seacondly, can you tell them for me, coz they HATE being told how to do something properly 🤣🤣🤣

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Heated grips not staying stuck
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2020, 07:30:56 PM »
Superglue. But the left grip glues to the handlebars which are nice shiny chrome, so the handlebar needs to be ďroughenedĒ slightly to give a key and cleaned with a solvent before applying the glue then sliding the heated grip on. Works for me. Easy job to sort yourself. Just make sure no glue drips onto any of the bodywork or tank.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »
LHS grip is the easiest side. If you can pull the grip off donít ride the bike until itís sorted because it might come off on a left hand corner. You donít want that. Iíd email Oxford for the right sort of glue. Also be careful not to snap the wiring into the grip.
« Last Edit: 22 March, 2020, 08:16:35 PM by Crispy »
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:26:32 PM »
This is a common issue: heated grips melt the glue underneath and the grip starts to slip. It occurs mainly because the glue that oxford give out in their kits is inadequate. If you want the original stuff then I'm selling what they give you in the box:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Heated-Grips-Accessory-Pack/283617559797?hash=item4208ec84f5:g:H3IAAOSwRA9dgWML

Outside of that any strong super glue should work, but for me I use this gorilla glue specifically.

To ensure a good long lasting set I'd advise being willing to leave it for a few hours afterwards (with gorilla glue, that is -- anything weaker and I'd advise longer).

For the L/H one remove the bar end and heat the grip up with a hair dryer then wiggle it with brute force so it comes off the bar. Clean up any left over glue with brake cleaner and some sandpaper or alike. The cleaner the bar is underneath the better the new glue will set. Key point here is not to allow glue of the L/H grip to contact the switchgear otherwise it will become stuck and cause headaches down the line. Gorilla glue expands so be sure to cut the excess of after it dries and hardens / seeps out the end.

For the R/H one you'll have to remove slack from the throttle cable and remove the cables from the throttle tube inside the switchgear. After that you can just glue throttle to throttle tube and then re-fit and adjust throttle free play as required. Making sure you don't snap the return cable is key on the CBF -- I know you don't mention this one but if you've used the same glue on both sides then you'll find the throttle grip twisting freely of the throttle tube eventually. I've had it happen to me and it makes for an interesting ride (on other bikes).

Fitting them on this bike isn't that hard due to battery location. How close the battery is to the bars makes for a hard job when it comes to routing the long wiring, if anything.

Edit: before you remove the grip make a note of the exact position of the large portion of the grip (as seen in the photo from google below) that resides right by the switchgears to avoid problems with other controls and cable routing (particularly important on the throttle side):

« Last Edit: 22 March, 2020, 08:32:07 PM by NJD »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:46:56 PM »
I think Iíll give Thunder Road a chance to use superglue/ gorilla glue.ibet their worried about product warranty, so persist in using oxford glue. If they refuse to try an alternative, Iíll contact Oxford, I did try to get end weight off, but couldnít move the Philips screw for love nor money.
Thank you all for your helpful replies, itís great to get advice on this and other problems Iíve had, much appreciated, j

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »
Thunder Road being the dealer that sold you the bike back in December, I assume?

Their good guys if they take it in and not charge you, but on the other hand its a ten minuate job (minus waiting for the glue to dry) at most so would be interesting to see a figure placed on such a simple job.

Pick up whats known as an impact driver. Halfords sell their own in a case with bits for not very much. Hammer on the end and free's up stubborn screws etc. Bar end weights are not uncommon to be tricky, but don't really need tightening up all that much. Think most the problems are caused by ones that haven't been undone in a long time. Not really ever read of them being over tightened. IIRC the halfords one can be twisted anti clockwise and clockwise so is something to check / set before using. These tools are useful for a range of tasks. Other brands available, just passing on what has worked for me.

If it happens again I wouldn't bother taking it back, or just ask them to use Gorilla glue from the go as "oxford" glue is nothing more than standard superglue with their name on the packet I assume.

Contacting Oxford would be a waste of time, I'd just use something stronger than whats supplied and not think twice about it.

Perhaps stick some cable ties under the seat to clamp the grip in place if you're out again and it occurs. Bit OTT but suppose cable ties can save you in multiple ways when out if something occurs.

Best of luck, and again keep an eye on any movement of that throttle grip indepdant of the throttle tube. The CBF can bite at the best of times. Its no sports bike, sure, but can easily catch someone out.

Just keep an eye on how long you leave it at %100. On days like today (8-10 degree's) I had it on 50% for a bit, and as low as 30% at times. Keeping it right up there may be nice but can contribute to slippage as it warms up outside (no proof, just personal opinion).

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:55:08 PM »
Last time my left grip came a bit loose I took it off, rubbed the bar with sandpaper to clean & key it, wiped it down with methylated spirits, and then glued it back on with this:

https://www.toolstation.com/super-glue/p10893

That was about 2 1/2 years ago. Been fine ever since.  :028:

Offline cbrog

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
Just a bit off the subject , I have factory fitted grips which I find a bit small , are grip puppies ok for these pls ?

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »
For sure, you don't use glue to put puppies on.  :008: :110: :005:

With the puppies, I'd suggest just putting them in hot water first to make them a bit more pliable, then you should get them on ok. Some people use soap to help them on, but if you use too much then you run the risk of the puppies moving on top of the original grip due to soapy residue. So try without soap first.  :028:

And finally, measure twice, cut once!!

https://www.grip-puppy.com

« Last Edit: 23 March, 2020, 11:43:13 AM by Shed »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
Thanks NJD, ILL get an impact driver, and use the superglue SHED mentioned, everyone seems to come back to superglue, thanks all, j