Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I left my hazard lights on  (Read 549 times)

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
I left my hazard lights on
« on: 21 March, 2020, 07:49:14 PM »
Had a lovely 103 mile ride out today, on the way home I called in to check on some one and left my hazard lights on,for about 20 minutes, key in the ignition.on leaving , the battery wouldn’t turn the engine over quite enough to s start, I had to bump start it.was I asking to much of the little battery?.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Re: I left my hazard lights on
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
4 bulbs 20 mins flashing is 4 bulbs 10 mins permanent = one bulb 40 mins - thats a fair draw on the battery
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:45:33 PM »
Thanks for the comment, I’m almost relieved, as I wondered if I had a drain somewhere. I need to be more careful, thank for the feedback

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2020, 12:14:47 PM »
Yes, far too much for the battery.
Which sort of negates their usefulness - being able to stay on without ignition.

However, my super good led ones, with a led flasher relay, could run a good while if only the flasher supported Honda's hazards when off function … doh.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:13:56 PM »
We've all been there and done something similar, last weekend when I was testing the cooling fan relay, its circuit and all that stuff I left the ignition on. It only took four days for the battery to grind down to 0.75v :187:

32 Hours on the 300mA charger later and it was back on top form holding 12.7v, a week on and it seems to have settled down to 12.6v. Not bad for a 6+ year old Varta.

Happy Days
« Last Edit: 22 March, 2020, 02:26:06 PM by Art »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2020, 05:34:43 PM »
Every day out I learn something, your right about the hazards, no bloody good in a genuine tricky situation, like protecting another biker on a dual carriageway 😡

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2020, 06:09:26 PM »
Hazards are, I think a requirement on modern bikes. But as you say, not much use unless you keep the motor running. Thankfully, bikes in general don't create as much of a "hazard" as other vehicles.

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2020, 06:34:18 PM »
When I got home, I put it on optimate and was fully charged in no time, I suspect a few minutes earlier and I would   Have been ok. Thanks everyone for putting me right, I need to put a new post on about heated grips that keep becoming unglued, 👍👍

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
When you say fully charged in no time how did you measure that? Fully charging a battery takes longer than most folk realise, what Optimate do you have?

Optimate 2 & 3 charge at 0.8A, Optimate 4 charges at 1A. The CBF has an 8.6Ah battery therefore to fully charge from flat at 0.8A will take (8.6/0.8+10%) 12 hours, at 1A it will still take 9 hours. My 300mA trickle charger takes 32 hours (8.6/.3+10%) to fully charge my battery, it was showing 12.8v after just 8 hours and took another 16 hours to cross the 13.2v fully charged line.

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »
Hi Art, it’s the optimate 4,when I checked the following day it was on maintain, 18hours I guess,

diverse-leafy