Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil drip tray for self service  (Read 196 times)

Offline Bogal298

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Oil drip tray for self service
« on: 15 March, 2020, 09:29:20 PM »
Evening all, So after getting my Biffa back on the road after crashing it after owning it for 14 days... yep :157:, I would like to get myself in to the position of completing a service myself.

Not something I have done before, but after repairing it I'm allot more confident in my abilities.

I'm after suggestions on the best trays to use to catch the used oil from the sump, ideally something that I can seal until disposal. I live in a flat in the city so I would have to be able to transport it to a dump site.

Thanks all  :002:

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: Oil drip tray for self service
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
For catching the oil I use this drip tray from Halfords, but in terms of transporting it you could use plastic 1L empty bottles or pour the old stuff back into the container that did contain the new oil once you've completely done with the oil change (assuming local centre accepts oil in such ways).

The spark plugs on this take some time and attention to do. Remove both: side covers, seats, front fairings and then support the tank. Once you've done that for the left side (sitting on the bike) remove the ignition coil to change left hand side spark plugs... for the right hand side remove breather hoses and one other item (forget from top of head.. mounted to frame) to do the right side. Use tool provided in OEM tool kit or order it from Wemoto if you've not got it, and use this kind of ring spanner to loosen and tighten the tool.

Air filter is easy.

Everything else should just be lubrication, depending on brakes etc.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2020, 12:27:46 AM »
Alternative 8 Litre pan at Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-oil-drain-pan-8ltr/3759r

Pretty much as NNJD says.
I'd add if you are doing the plugs as well, take care with plug No 3 as there's not much room for manoeuvre and the HT lead/cap can be damaged all too easily if you just rive it out & in. Just take your time & you'll be fine. Also, fit Iridium plugs, such as Denso IUH24, or NGK CR8EHiX-9, about £28 - £30 for a set of 4. They'll most likely outlast your ownership of the bike.

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2020, 01:35:04 AM »
Just spent the weekend leisurely servicing mine and that's the only way, take your time. If you're unsure read the workshop manual then read it again and take it one step at a time. If you think a job will take 30 minutes allow yourself an hour.

Oil drain tray - I've made my own by cutting the side out of a plastic 5L oil container. I decant that into an old 5L oil container for transporting to the re-cycling centre where I empty it and retain it for future use. Keep the lid sealed because even the slightest dregs of old engine oil lets off an undesirable clinging odour that lingers forever. If you want to drain your oil filter too I use an old ring pull can. Not the soft drinks type but the type that soup or beans comes in, the lip is just the right size to support an upturned oil filter while it drains. That way the filter doesn't spill its contents when you're least expecting it, the old drained off oil filter goes in the metals bin at the re-cycling centre.

To get that number three spark plug cap off remove the crankcase breather hose and thermostat housing. While you've got the tank lifted you should consider changing the coolant, if you've got a MKI don't forget to re-fill the system at the thermostat housing radiator cap, that step is omitted in the MKI workshop manual.

If you're feeling ambitious a brake and clutch fluid flush is something to consider, if you've got ABS don't drain the system just use the new fluid to flush out the old.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: 16 March, 2020, 01:37:13 AM by Art »

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Oil drain tray - I've made my own by cutting the side out of a plastic 5L oil container.

I used to do that, but went all posh with a 'proper' oil pan as you can also do the dishes in the oil pan.  :028:

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2020, 04:01:51 PM »
I also have a funnel that started out in life as a 200ml plastic bottle of Wurth GenX diesel and injector cleaner, it screws into the oil filler hole freeing up both hands. Another retired bean can has been upcycled into a scoop that sits over the exhaust and channels the spillage from removing the oil filter away from the exhaust and into the drain tray.

That £3.99 drip tray from Screwfix looks tempting, drip tray or 3L of go go juice or do I teat myself to the pan and the juice?
« Last Edit: 16 March, 2020, 04:14:58 PM by Art »