Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sight glass replacement or cleaning  (Read 126 times)

Offline KiwiBob

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
Sight glass replacement or cleaning
« on: 15 March, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »
Hi all, the engine oil sight glass on my MK 1 is, I suspect, coated with engine oil varnish to the extent that it is near impossible to read the oil level. Has anyone here tried removing theirs and cleaning it or replaced it?
Just curious as to what would be the solution to making it transparent again. It doesn’t look like it would be difficult to remove.

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Sight glass replacement or cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
For my two penneth if the oil level inspection window is that coated the entire engine internals will be too. An engine flush at the next oil change may be a better idea but there are two schools of thought on this. On the one hand an engine flush will clean up the engine internals, on the other hand in doing so it may expose failed gaskets, seals and 'O' rings.

Never took the inspection window out but it seems to be a relative simple job removing two bolts, the glass and an 'O' ring. Mr Honda recommends a new 'O' ring during assembly, in practice I wouldn't bother with such an easily accessible 'O' ring unless you have one to hand of course.