Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Indicator fail  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Yata

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FAC GT
  • City / Town: Holmfirth
Indicator fail
« on: 04 March, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
My CBF indicators and hazards have just stopped working even on the dash display.
I've checked the fuses no issues there.
My next thought would be replace the relay but before I do that, have any of you got a suggestion to what the problem might be?

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Indicator fail
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2020, 06:28:41 PM »
Three questions.

1) Does the horn work?

2) Removing the indicator relay connector and short the grey and white/green wire terminals, with the ignition and indicator switched on do the indicators work?

3) Is there continuity between the green wire terminal and chassis?

Yes, yes and yes go ahead and replace the indicator relay
« Last Edit: 04 March, 2020, 06:35:44 PM by Art »

Offline Yata

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Three questions.

1) Does the horn work?

2) Removing the indicator relay connector and short the grey and white/green wire terminals, with the ignition and indicator switched on do the indicators work?

3) Is there continuity between the green wire terminal and chassis?

Yes, yes and yes go ahead and replace the indicator relay

1, yes horn still works
2, will do this as soon as I have chance
3, I'm not entity sure what you mean on this question so don't know

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2020, 12:29:26 AM »
Nah, fuse C is turn & clock.

If the dash clock is all okay then it is just the indicator circuit.

Did they work last week?  What has been done since?  If a new, random failure I think the first port of call would be the turn relay itself - is it still plugged in ?  More likely if it has been replaced for a 'led flasher', I think the normal ones are quite reliable.

Grey to white/green will light them up *if* you've got the switch on to L or R but you must throw the switch.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2020, 11:05:38 AM »
I thought the horn and indicators were protected by the same fuse, maybe its the clock. Does the clock work?

*Originally Posted by Yata [+]
1, yes horn still works
2, will do this as soon as I have chance
3, I'm not entity sure what you mean on this question so don't know

The tests bypass the relay and test the circuits wiring and connectors. For the indicator relay to work it needs a 12v supply and an Earth. The first test double checks the fuse, the second test checks for a 12v supply and the third test checks for Earth. If the wiring is sound and assuming the relay connections and connector are sound too then the relay is faulty.

3) Test for continuity between the indicator relay green wire terminal and an Earthing point (any bare metal part of the engine or frame will do or the battery (negative) Earth strap) using the continuity test function of a multimeter.

Offline Yata

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »
I thought the horn and indicators were protected by the same fuse, maybe its the clock. Does the clock work?

The tests bypass the relay and test the circuits wiring and connectors. For the indicator relay to work it needs a 12v supply and an Earth. The first test double checks the fuse, the second test checks for a 12v supply and the third test checks for Earth. If the wiring is sound and assuming the relay connections and connector are sound too then the relay is faulty.

3) Test for continuity between the indicator relay green wire terminal and an Earthing point (any bare metal part of the engine or frame will do or the battery (negative) Earth strap) using the continuity test function of a multimeter.

Thank you for your time on this

1) I've tested all the fuses they all seam good (Clock and horn work when fuses are in and not when taken out)

I have used my multimeter and tested the connections and I'm very confused

2) There is a power supply to the relay got a reading of 11.72v on my meter engine off (I don't have wire to bypass the connector at this time so tested it instead)

3) (Test for continuity between the indicator relay green wire terminal and an Earthing point) I have done this the best I know how and my reader came back as having continuity (not 0.00 like when you touch the probes but still got a positive reading)

So after all this I swapped out the relay for a New Honda relay and got no joy sill my indicators are not working

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:17:56 PM »
Yes, there's a feed to keep hazards flashing with the ignition off and another, normal and ignition-switched, for left and right turn indicators.

You should have both +12v there with the ignition ON (from what I can remember of the diagram in my head).

You should also have a permanent 0v there (solid green)

The 'output' (Grey IIRC) goes to your turn switch and is switched to either left lamps or right lamps.
Raising that to 12v AND the switch to L or R should light all those lamps.
Equally, raising any lamp to 12v should light the rest on that side (could be done from a bulb holder?).

You've a disconnect somewhere and will need to work through it methodically to see where the problem is, but include the switch itself - does this feel right ?  Cancel right (mechanically) ?

HTH
« Last Edit: 20 March, 2020, 02:18:30 PM by jm2 »
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
Also, "England" doesn't give much away.
You could be around the corner from someone quite able to help and we'd never know.

Offline Yata

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2020, 06:12:53 PM »
 :087:
 :183:
I'm getting lost in my electrics and don't understand why things are not working now.

To check there is not a break in the wiring I have tested the connectivity between bulb and relay socket bulb and battery (to see if it's earthing) Battery to relay socket (via turn switch and hazard switch)

when I tried this I blew the fuse  :172: not having more than one spare fuse to hand I did't try it again

after hours of testing I found only one issue there was no continuity on the turn switch turning right
so now I'm questioning how electricity works as by my calculations my left turn and hazard should still work but for whatever reason they don't

I noticed this wile tracing the wires can anyone tell me what it is and dose it have influence on my indicators

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:05:24 PM »
I'm lost too, the relay has four wires

red/green +12v
green ground
grey feed to the switch
white/green +12v

The grey wire carries 12v to the indicator switch, the switch connects the grey wire and its 12v to either an orange wire (left indicator) or light blue wire (right indicator). The hazard switch is similar but connects the grey wire and its 12v to both the orange and light blue wire.

The 6 pin white connector is the options socket the 5 wires are

White/black stop light
Red/green +12v
Orange left indicator
Light blue right indicator
Green ground

The 2 pin black connector goes to the rear brake light switch
« Last Edit: 20 March, 2020, 09:12:15 PM by Art »

diverse-leafy