Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High Fuel consumption - 100 miles with per tank :(  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: High Fuel consumption - 100 miles with per tank :(
« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2020, 07:36:38 PM »
I fill up, note mileage, then on filling up again, check overall mileage and even I can work out mpg!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Marcos1979

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: 27 February, 2020, 08:11:07 PM »
Hi buddy, the bike is doing 26.32 mpg, I am taking it tomorrow to the garage to conduct a diagnostics test. Will keep you all updated.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #12 on: 29 February, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
Crikey, if that's right it's got worse MPG than my 3 litre twin turbo Land Rover. I'm surprised that you don't notice some difference in performance with it sucking fuel like that.

Greta Thunberg will have you on her hit list!

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #13 on: 29 February, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
A vacuum air leak was the first thing that came to mind when I read that MPG, but I have nothing to base that on (sorry if mentioned previously).

Two other things that come to mind is the fuel pump or fuel leaking out of pipe that hangs down on the L/H side of the bike.

The air breather overflow filler isn't full, is it? (L/H side of engine with a clip on, little yellow tube).

Not sure if these will help.

Offline Marcos1979

• CBF Member
« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2020, 10:17:47 AM »
*** PEDRO *** Why don't you keep those comments to yourself? if you can't add anything, don't comment!!!!  You probably ride a bicycle with stabiliers and not a CBF 1000.

Offline Marcos1979

• CBF Member
« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
*** NJD *** Thank you for you input buddy, your time is very very much appreciated.

I took it to the garage and the diagnostics according to the computer, were:

- Faulty injector
 - O2 sensor when the engine is revved is not giving signals on the computer screen which means it is probably faulty and
 - Apparently there was also a fault with the throttle sensor

The mechanic said the they reset the system and the faults were no longer there which I don't believe, so I will test to see if the fuel consumption still high and if this is the case I will get the above checked.

I will keep you updated.

Marcos.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #16 on: 01 March, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Marcos1979 [+]
*** PEDRO *** Why don't you keep those comments to yourself? if you can't add anything, don't comment!!!!  You probably ride a bicycle with stabiliers and not a CBF 1000.

Marcos, I didn't mean to insult or annoy you, so apologies if I did. Just lightening the mood (I thought). However, you obviously meant to insult me with your remarks it seems.

The point I was making, which you seemed to miss was whether or not you had noticed a difference in performance with the increased fuel performance, which could be a factor when trying to diagnose the problem and would therefore be worth mentioning to your mechanic.

Hope you get it sorted.

Offline Marcos1979

• CBF Member
« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
Pedro, my apologies for the comments. I am actually a little stressed with these mechanical issues as I got a trip planed to Spain and Portugal in May and I need to get this sorted. Once again I am sorry buddy.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
« Reply #18 on: 01 March, 2020, 01:54:25 PM »
The mechanic, having identified three DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) should have proved any faults by testing each of those components and the wiring and connections of each. The recording of a DTC only means the ECU is not receiving the expected signal, the problem could be the wiring or a loose connection.

Assuming the poor fuel economy hasn't magically restored itself you now need to inspect and test the injector (do you know which one? Each injector has its own code!), the O2 sensor and the Throttle Position sensor.

Section 6 of the workshop manual should provide an interesting read you can download it here

https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #19 on: 01 March, 2020, 10:05:32 PM »
Hi Marcos
It may be worth checking if the coolant temp sender is working properly
if it is telling the ecu that the engine temp is cold the ecu will operate in cold start
mode .
 I have run my mk2 with an o2 eliminator kit and while the fuel consumption dropped
it still did 50 mpg.
 Honda want about £330 for an o2 sensor Opie oils do an NTK/NGK sensor for a mk1
for£77.95.
The workshop manual lists the MAP sensor or pipe work as being a possible cause of bad fuel
consumption.
  I have had a  throttle position sensor be the cause of bad fuel consumption  without
registering any fault codes. Not as bad as yours though.
   Im sure there are other places but BDS perfomance at eye green peterborough 
will do a dyno run for about £40 and it checks all the sensors.
 If you book a bike in they can do it while you wait.

Malc