Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight Bulb  (Read 983 times)

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Re: Headlight Bulb
« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2020, 06:16:43 PM »
I don't do a lot of riding on traffic free roads at night so I have adjusted my main beam headlight so it points downwards far enough not to dazzle oncoming traffic but not quite as much as the dip beam and keep both the headlights on at night. Works for me and has passed several MOTs like this. I also use the better quality Phillips bulbs.
 Pete 

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
It is an H7 bulb and I too found the stock 12v 55W Halogen bulb to be useless. Upgraded my dipped beam to a HID by way of a cheap as chips eBay deal for £10. The only downside was I had to fit an off/on switch for the headlamp because occasionally when cranking the starter motor the ballast would cut out and take hours re-set. You need to splice into the headlamp wiring for the ballast so fitting the switch isn't too much extra. While I was there I fitted a pair of CREE U5 LED DRL's, they come with their own switch. Now 5 years on and its still doing what it does and what it does is light the way ahead and it all meets the new MOT lighting regulations too. Something similar to these, ignore that the HID kit is for Yamaha its an H7 bulb and an H7 bulb is an H7 bulb.

Links

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-6000K-HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-FOR-YAMAHA-R1-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE/380425466146?hash=item58931ff122:g:lJcAAMXQoiJRhehJ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-125W-U5-U7-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Headlight-LED-Fog-Spot-Lights-Bulb-Switch/312870513102?hash=item48d88929ce:m:mesWPA44J4PthKz908Xo9hw

If your set on LED's these look similar to the ones you've link at a more reasonable price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-AUXITO-200W-H7-CREE-LED-Headlight-Bulb-High-Low-Beam-Conversion-Kit-Headlamp/123939275176?epid=8035111854&hash=item1cdb5b41a8:g:diIAAOSwi7RdpEqA
If you are referring to your HID conversion (well worthwhile IF not a cheap Chinese version) Sadly these conversions are now  failure item on the new MOT regs, even when they meet the required beam pattern. :211: (Check DVSA's site and look up the MOT test manual.)

I've protested (I was in charge of the branch which implemented the MOT standards and garage equipment requirements when 'thee were just a lad' :038:). They sent me a paper written in the 60s showing HID set-ups scattered light everywhere, especially the cheaper versions with no quality control. It beggars belief that they haven't tested more recent versions.  :125:Sooooooooooooo you are meant to revert to candles, pass the MOT, then refit HIDs for your safety! :157:
« Last Edit: 13 February, 2020, 07:21:56 PM by Rev Ken »
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: 14 February, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
The Rev is  correct on this, as per the regs:

"Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp".

Whether your friendly, biker-minded, biker-themselves, mot garage actually enforce & implement this is another matter.  :164:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

Offline YDraig

• CBF Member
  • Riding bikes since before I were a'lad
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: 14 February, 2020, 09:10:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shed [+]

Whether your friendly, biker-minded, biker-themselves, mot garage actually enforce & implement this is another matter.  :164:

Indeed  :156:  My other bike would be useless at night these days if that was enforced.  I do notice that it doesn't bar the use of LED conversions though.   :001:

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: 14 February, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
Yes, I should have mentioned that in my post so just to be clear the MOT manual specifically states 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs' and it is now a Major fail - 4.1.4 (c) Light source and lamp not compatible.

Thank you @Rev Ken and @Shed for pointing that out.

Maybe when my HID burns out I'll go with the second best LED option although I did reject LED's because of the heat produced and resulting failure rate.

Offline YDraig

• CBF Member
  • Riding bikes since before I were a'lad
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »
Relevant to our bikes : carrying out a full projector and HID conversion.  I think it would be really difficult for an MOT tester to decide to fail it as a conversion - How would they know it's not OEM?  (assuming the job was done properly).   

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2020, 01:58:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by YDraig [+]
Indeed  :156:  My other bike would be useless at night these days if that was enforced.  I do notice that it doesn't bar the use of LED conversions though.   :001:
If an HID conversion is a fail item, why not an LED conversion? Many LED conversions are far worse for scattering light or are hopeless in the wet.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #17 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:09:18 PM »
LED conversion of a halogen headlight unit may be a fail, it'll depend on how the tester views it. The fail is in having incompatible bulb and headlight unit so if the tester sees the LED bulb as not compatible with the headlight unit he'll fail it, as unlikely as that may sound.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #18 on: 22 March, 2020, 07:50:16 PM »
Fitted some Osram W5W side light bulbs in cool white and itís made a huge difference to my road presence, turning more heads than normal and just feel that cars coming out of side roads see me much better.

My judgment about the headlights being white was wrong, as thereís a yellow tinge when you look at them from the side. Iíll have to pull them out to see what make they are, as I canít find Osram H7 55w bulbs in cool white, only cool blue. Question is, are cool blue headlights road legal?

Anyone know?

Cheers
« Last Edit: 22 March, 2020, 08:19:23 PM by Crispy »
A day without learning is a day wasted

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:14:07 PM »
Cool blue is still white take a look here

diverse-leafy