Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flat battery?  (Read 57 times)

Greenfingers and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Greenfingers

• Bike: CBF1000 A6
  • City / Town: Oxford
Flat battery?
« on: Yesterday at 07:54:06 PM »
Bought my 31k miles biffer a couple of weeks ago and noticed at the time that the starter motor didn't seem to spin the engine up very enthusiastically. The previous owner was using the bike daily, doing around 75 miles per day, so I would expect the battery was fully charged. Service history notes refer to a replaced alternator @ 26k miles in December 2018 and also a new Yuasa YTZ10S battery about a month before then.

Going by comments on here about battery life, I would expect a 15 month old battery having done 5,000 miles to be in good condition unless it had been traumatised. My bike has been in regular use and garaged overnight, so I am now wondering if there might be a parasitic drain. I note the comments by Art and given time will do some tests, but at the moment my battery is charging on the bench, because it wouldn't start the bike today when I tried to fire it up for my last check before it's MOT tomorrow!

I hardly ever needed to use 240v to charge my bikes before. My Countax ride on mower goes all winter without a charge and starts without any fuss in the spring. I had an old JCB digger for around 10 years, that was only used occasionally and never needed charging or a new battery.

Coming back to biking as an oldie, it is clear that batteries take more of a pounding these days, partly due to all the accessories available:- heated grips, alarm systems, phone chargers/bluetooth, high power lights and so on; but also fuel injection systems, on board computers and on these bikes HISS.

In theory when the bike is asleep, the only active consumption should be the HISS/alarm systems, but surely this is minimal and that amount of drainage on a standard battery shouldn't be noticeable for months? I could probably do the maths, but would prefer to hear from others with real life experience.

The so called battery optimisers are an obvious remedy, but rather than have to plug in your bike if you don't use it for a couple of weeks, surely it makes more sense to just fit an isolation switch to save the battery from draining.

Anyway, do you think I need a new battery?

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Flat battery?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:47:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greenfingers [+]
it is clear that batteries take more of a pounding these days, partly due to all the accessories available:- heated grips, alarm systems, phone chargers/bluetooth, high power lights and so on; but also fuel injection systems, on board computers and on these bikes HISS.

Spot on. And bear in mind how tiny the Biffer battery is - woefully undersized really. Age & storage often have little bearing whatsoever on the battery life, they just 'go'. Sheer pot luck. One day they work, next day they're toast  :127:

Load testing the battery will illustrate the condition of the battery. If all is well with the battery, then start looking elsewhere.

Start with the easy first  :028: