Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: fuel tank internal bar  (Read 632 times)

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
fuel tank internal bar
« on: 14 March, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
what is the purpose of the bar just below the filler cap. I have unsuccessfully done key word searches and looked in the manual, no joy. I would be happy with a reference to an old post, many thanks jon

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Re: fuel tank internal bar
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:41:00 AM »
I use the bar as a max fuel level.Ed.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
A most useful bar it is too. I too use it as a reference for where the tank is full. I fill to that bar at every re-fuelling, very useful if you want a consistent full tank for calculating mpg's.

Its real purpose in life is to protect the fuel pump assembly, the sender unit's ball cock float rises to a point just below that bar.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
Thanks,Art.Never knew about the protection purpose!( Can still learn even at 73!) Ed, :031:

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
Thank you, great idea for getting mpg, I was just getting started on logging some MPG stats, what d you get on a gentle days riding(nothing racey). I suppose Iíd like to see a solid 35mpg

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2020, 05:47:11 PM »
You need to raise the bar (see what I did there) 35 mpg would have me worried. I'm getting 50 to 55 mpg, that's 210 to 230 miles per tank but to be honest I've only ever run it anywhere near that low once. That was on the southern clockwise route C of the RBLR1000. Exeter to Haverford West with a detour due to a road closure had me arriving at the fuel stop on vapours having stretched the last tank full to just over 210 miles.

(You're welcome @iNCORRIGIBLE)

Happy Days
« Last Edit: 14 March, 2020, 05:48:22 PM by Art »

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »
Hi Art, what sort of riding are you doing to get 50 mpg, Iím going to fill it to the bar tomorrow and do a 100miles and see what I get, I think youíve suggested this method on another thread, Iíll be well pleased if I get 40+

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2020, 05:55:29 AM »
Having moved outta Shoreditch to rural parts I no longer do city motor traffic. Most of my riding is extra urban although I do get to traverse the oldest recorded town in Britain from time to time. But I wouldn't call that urban riding, the traffic flow is normally light and the A134 across town tends to roll along at a steady 40 mph. The 210 miles from Exeter to Haverford West I mentioned was  around 150 miles of motorway and 60 miles of A roads, a progressive ride and bang on 50 mpg. I think most on here are getting 50+ mpg.

Offline Jon the mow

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
Thatís great news, visiting the folks In west wales , will be done on almost £20, happy days.
I was in your old manor ( shoreditch) a few weeks ago , I went to the BIKE SHED, Great nosh, and couldnít resist a bit of retail therapy in the shop,

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
The Bike Shed less than 500 yards from where I was born. Everybody should drop in there once or twice, free under cover off street motorcycle parking too which is pretty unique for Central London.

https://thebikeshed.cc/

diverse-leafy