Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Recondition Repack & Reseal Exhaust  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
Recondition Repack & Reseal Exhaust
« on: 01 February, 2020, 05:59:30 PM »
I was considering buying some new cans for the CBF (Mk1, twin exhausts) when by chance I noticed a bit of paper being blown across the garage floor from the vicinity of the exhaust, and upon inspection noticed it was blowing between the header pipes and exhaust.

Whilst looking for a remedy I came across repacking the silencer to basically make it sound and perform like new. My cans came with the bike and are made by SP Engineering, they’re stainless steel so I should be able to shine them up to something newish.

Here’s a quick video on the difference between stock and aftermarket cans and how to repack your exhaust.

[/youtube]

It looks like a easy job with huge savings to be made against buying new cans. A quick price-up of the project:

Hi Temp Silicone Sealant - £5.80
x2 Stainless Exhaust Clamps - £5.60
Exhaust Packing/Wadding For Two Exhausts - £12.00
x24 Stainless “Closed” (Gas tight) Rivets - £8.50
New Heatproof Exhaust Stickers - £9.50
Tools: Drill, centre punch, rubber mallet, rivet gun, already owned - £0.00
Autosol, microfibre cloths and elbow grease - gratis.

Total cost of project for refurbed cans would be £41.40 versus £360+ for brand new exhausts.

Has any forum members done this project before and offer up any tips/ pit falls? I’d also be interested in any tips for getting a dent out of the exhaust for a complete refurb.

:031:
Soichiro Honda, I salute you.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Recondition Repack & Reseal Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2020, 12:28:26 PM »
Do you mean its blowing on the underside near the rear of the end can?

If that is the case its a water drain hole for the exhaust.
« Last Edit: 02 February, 2020, 12:34:47 PM by Art »

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2020, 01:26:43 PM »
Hi Art,

No, it’s blowing from the pipe that connect the header pipes to the muffler/cans. I think stock exhausts are one piece, my aftermarket exhaust comes in two pieces. Below is a diagram of the stock exhaust system.

Mine is blowing from header to link pipe connection, there was a bit of silicone gasket hanging out. Looks like original exhaust clamps too.

PS I assume Mk2’s have a single exhaust, sure I read it somewhere?

PPS Also just noticed that whilst the exhausts are off I’ll be able to remove and paint the rear foot pegs as they’ll need some gentle persuasion to get them out.   :178:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2020, 05:38:28 PM »
In that case you probably just need to re-seal the joint which probably failed due to use of a regular or lower temp sealant instead of a high temp RTV sealant. Note the original Honda clamps are chrome plated steel and fail after 5 to 7 years so while your there replace those too. Shopping list:

2 off MIKALOR 40-43 mm W4 stainless steel clamps at £2.50 each delivered (Honda want £25 each for lower spec) Note the eBay listing defaults to the 37-40 mm clamps you need to select the 40-43 mm clamps from the drop down menu.

1 off 85g tube of 370ºC high temperature RTV SILICONE sealant.

That be an £10.85 no-brainer repair - eBay links

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321778268047?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=510692247489&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABRO-RTV-SILICONE-GASKET-MAKER-Brown-SUPER-HIGH-TEMP-371-Degree-SEALANT-85G-TUBE/281432905820?hash=item4186b5585c:g:nqgAAOSwnDZUC3ep

Happy Days

« Last Edit: 02 February, 2020, 05:47:11 PM by Art »

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2020, 11:11:53 PM »
 :0461:  +1 for the Mikalor clamps. Excellent gear.
I've got them on my Biffer, after the originals turned to dust.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
Thanks guys, already ordered 40-43mm clamps, these ones are made by NORMA and are meant to be really good. Got them from Pipewerx based in Lancasheer.

TBH, it’s the corroded rivets and the small dent that let it down. Looking forward to seeing what the bike looks, sounds and performs like when the project is finished.  :007:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »
Those NORMA clamps will do fine, 100% and then some better than the OEM Honda part.

They look the same pattern as the W2 MIKALOR clamps I have, stainless steel band + zinc plate carbon steel bolt. After I got mine I was advised the W4 MIKALOR clamps are stainless steel band & bolt for just a few pennies more.

When fitting the clamps they are gated so you can fit them over the assembled pipe. You'll struggle to get the 40-43 mm clamp over the pipe where the joint is so fit them over the pipe at the narrower point, close the gate and screw the bolt in a thread or two before sliding the clamp over the joint. Sorry if that is teaching you how to suck eggs but some on here have complained the 40-43 mm clamp is too small. I measured the pipe at 43 mm and since its a clamp I felt tighter was better and that the 43-47 mm clamp might be too loose.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2020, 12:03:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Those NORMA clamps will do fine, 100% and then some better than the OEM Honda part.

They look top quality that will last. Just read Bogal298’s thread about the price Honda charge for a clamp and had to check for myself....it’s true - £24.74 EACH - for a clamp! My aftermarket cans use 4 clamps, it would cost £98.96 for 4 exhaust clamps  :112:

Good point about the size of clamp you need to buy. Measured mine with some vernier callipers and the reading was 42.10mm fully tightened up (think they should be torqued to 10nm.) Well worth measuring before you buy as I’m sure stainless steel is thinner than the steel used in stock exhausts.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
Note too those very expensive Honda clamps are chrome plated carbon steel securing a stainless steel system??

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:06:43 PM »
Decided against dismantling and repacking the exhaust as there wasn’t a “hollow” sound when I tapped it.

Taking the exhaust apart gives you the chance to give it a proper clean and polish; the bit near the swing arm, behind the clamps and the link pipes. Tried some Brasso with wadding that can be used straight out of the tin and it did a good job. Also, it gives you the chance to recondition the pillion foot rests as they’re hard to get out on high mileage machines (with the exhausts in place).

The Biffer sounds a lot better now it’s not blowing and the exhaust is giving off a nice shine with new heatproof stickers covering the dent.

:062:

Recent Posts