Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What brakes!  (Read 787 times)

Offline edger

• CBF Master
What brakes!
« on: 08 January, 2020, 09:20:03 PM »
Having just spent the last month or so rebuilding a 40 year old Honda 400 automatic from a pile of bits in several kerbside recycling  box's (even the carbs were stripped down to the last jet )
Anyway today for the first time I test rode her up the lane WHAT AN EYE OPENER!
not having a clutch is  SOOoooo weird just roll of the throttle and the drive disengages, but  it dosn't stop you grabbing for the  lever but its not  a clutch its what they call a parking brake it operates the rear brake via a cable . BUT at least it slows you down that's more than can be said for the front brake  :mfrlol:
Despite a new master cylinder , braided hose and rebuilt caliper you would be better sticking both feet down like Fred Flintstone  YABBA DABBA DO !
Who said it was better in the eighties? or have we just forgotten?

So after all this rambling on the question I have is  dose anybody know of a slim modern ish caliper that would fit without fouling the spokes multi piston would be nice  I can fabricate a mounting bracket it might not be original or pretty  but I would like to avoid a bike front wheel car rear bumper interface!

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: What brakes!
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
Unfamiliar with the automatic, isn't this bike the same era as the 400 dream and later superdream (N) bikes ?

Whilst nothing ground breaking, the (front) brakes on those were okay.  Has your got decent sized solid twin discs on the front ?

I might think that the problem lies in getting those and the master seals overhauled and (at 40 years old) replacement lines (any type, new rubber is as good).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline edger

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »
Yes the engine is the same as a Superdream 400 but has a torque converter and two speed box instead of the normal set up
I think 1st ? will take you to around 40 then 2nd  on to the top speed although reviews from the eighties do say she will pull away in high although somewhat SLOWLY
As to the brakes she only has one disc American spec and a feeble single piston caliper
The piston moves but is a bit stiff and she will slow just not quickly enough  :mfrlol:
I have my eye on a three piston set up off a Keeway 125 or a CBF 125 that I think I can get to fit If I fabricate a new bracket.
Its just finding a caliper that is thin enough to clear the spokes
OH the Joy of fettling bikes !

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »
I remember well the first motorcycle I got to ride with a hydraulic disc brake, a '69 Honda 750-4 and operated in anger that front brake could easily have you out of the seat and halfway over the bars. Spotty faced 16 year old apprentices being let lose on customers 750 K1's should have been made illegal. It was I hear you thinking but too late to protect me from myself and much more fun than pulling wheelies on C50 Cubs ;-)

Maybe a deep clean of the caliper and piston might be an easy fix if you want to keep it original. Don't bother if you're upgrading the caliper and disc. Another option might be to replace the entire front end from the yokes down with something more modern.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
Is this the CM400A?

Some info regarding upgrades on this thread here. May be of use:

https://www.hondatwins.net/threads/dual-piston-upgrade-1980-cm400t.18517/

« Last Edit: 12 January, 2020, 05:52:22 PM by Shed »

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:28:58 PM »
I had a Honda 400 Superdream with twin front discs and it was easy to lift the rear wheel when braking. In fact that was one reason Crypton's prototype brake meter that I strapped to the front forks was not adopted as it couldn't give accurate readings with it's orientation changing. (I have a 'photo' of me lifting the rear wheel with the meter strapped on as my desk computer background, but don't have a clue on how to post it on to this forum.)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline edger

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »
I have sourced a refurbed  cbf 600 caliper
just trying to get the mounting bracket sorted out