Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lowered suspension  (Read 403 times)

Offline Clangers

• Bike: 2009 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Stockport
Lowered suspension
« on: 07 January, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »
I've fitted a 25 mm lower rear spring (Short legs!) If I move the forks up by the same amount the front suspension is horrible, not enough movement. It seems very soft, with 10w oil in. Is 20 too heavy? And by how much can I move the suspension or would you recommend a shorter spring in the front to match the back?
John, confused .com!!

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
Re: Lowered suspension
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2020, 04:23:28 PM »
Hi Clangers. Your post is intriguing as it has confused me a little. Rear suspension lowering  kits usually involve changing the linkage arm between the swing arm and the suspension unit, such that the link provides a different ‘linking’ angle, which is what lowers the bike on the existing suspension. Your question suggests that you’ve tried lowering the rear by using a shorter (“lower”?) spring. Is this on the existing rear shock assembly, or a completely different shock? If the former, this will significantly affect the bikes suspension setup. After-market lowering kits use the existing suspension unit and only need the front forks to be raised in their yokes (or the yokes lowered on the forks, to look at it the other way round). For instance, the Lust Racing 30mm lowering linkage on my Versys required the front forks to be lifted 14mm in the yokes to restore the balance. I think other more expert members than me, will be able to help you better, but I suspect that your new “lower” rear spring is the wrong route to take to just lower the bike. I look forward to the views of others. Good luck.

diverse-leafy