Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 06 Cbf1000 TPS query  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda cbf1000
  • City / Town: Wallsend
Re: 06 Cbf1000 TPS query
« Reply #10 on: 17 January, 2020, 11:50:27 PM »
Still awaiting delivery of new and hopefully correct part (hopefully next day or 2) in the meantime I actually carefully cracked open the old sensor and cleaned and re-soldered some new brush contacts and after several attempts to put it back together in the right position with the internal spring I actually got it fixed and working.

Obviously id rather put the new part on and keep the repaired one as a spare but I got some inspiration from a you tube video where I saw someone attempt it. If you can bear to listen to the awful music on the video its a semi comical watch especially the bit at the end with the cigarette filter.         

Thanks again for the advice and helpful links. I did actually go to a local scrap yard and remove one from a Honda Jazz but it was anti clockwise. It probably depends on the year and Model for compatible CBF1000 sensors.as I say finger crossed for my pending delivery.

Ill keep the post updated with progress.   Tony

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
A bit late with this but hey ho maybe of some future use.

Clockwise vs Anti-clockwise?

The TP sensor rotates clockwise as viewed from the outside when it is in its fitted position, that is as viewed through the cover plate or blind side. Some will incorrectly identify the rotation and reverse it by viewing the TP sensor from the inside.

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »
here is a pic of my sensor . the rest position is the yellow line. the movement is to the right that I deemed as clockwise.

I fitted it in today and whilst the bike ran the F1 light stayed on (which it didn't with my old sensor unless it was unplugged) and gave me '8 flashes' I didn't have the time today to further investigate but have a feeling that the plug or cables to the TPS might also have been water damaged. so for now the issue remains.

I re fitted and plugged the old sensor back in and the F1 light now stays on with that now - Iv'e definitely niggled something. .

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2020, 09:34:27 PM »
8 flashes is TPS sensor.

Your sensor pic, sensor, yellow position line, and clockwise, all look spot on to me. (Unless you've been really unlucky and obtained a defective 'new' sensor).

You've mentioned moisture, wetness, and corrosion before, and this would be my first area to check out. I'd suggest giving the connectors a good dousing in water dispersant, such as WD40, followed by some contact cleaner to ensure they are properly cleaned up and water free. Is the wiring in & around the connectors themselves sound? No corrosion on any of the connector pins? Wires themselves ok?

For good measure, go old-school and give the connectors a white distilled vinegar bath. It's very cheap, supermarket about 50p a pint, and very effective. Get the connector block in a bag of white vinegar, like a goldfish in a bag, for 10-15 mins and that'll get all the crud off the contacts. Wash the vinegar off with your water dispersant. Don't wash off with water!

Also, info here for reference:
https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-6%20FUEL%20SYSTEM.pdf
« Last Edit: 19 January, 2020, 09:43:20 PM by Shed »

Online g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »
Hi Tony
there have been several sub harness's  on ebay for the injectors
and tps lately. On the mk1 i think  the harness doesnt go directly to the ecu
but goes to a another connection on the way to the ecu.
when you set the tps if you pierced the harness could have damaged the wire?
When i cleaned the terminals on the connection on my bike with a contact cleaner
the seal at the bottom of the connector swelled up and made the connector difficult to fit
on the tps it has been ok when using ACF50.
There was a break out lead on ebay that fits between the tps and the wiring harness connector
which allows adjustment of the tps without damage to the wiring it was listed for KTM and Honda

Malc

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2020, 10:50:42 PM »
« Last Edit: 19 January, 2020, 10:53:18 PM by Shed »

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #16 on: 20 January, 2020, 06:25:44 PM »
Here is the latest. popped into a local independent motorcycle repair shop today. To be honest I used the lad years ago when I last owned bikes and he was always helpful and reasonable. Anyway I explained the situation and he said the bike may need to have a diagnostic carried out and the fault code cleared if I've tried to fit the new TPS myself.

He said you often have properly set up and calibrate TPS sensors. As I've not owned the bike for to long and I just want to get it up and  running I've agreed to get it in this Thursday. I'm happy with the price for the diagnostic and the TPS set up so just going for it. Plus I know he'll give it a decent once over. at least il find out if the new TPS is working properly.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2020, 01:32:56 AM »
Hopefully come Thursday, all will be well Tony.  :123:  :028:

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
Here's a strange update. I turned the bike over for the first time today since fitting the new tps on sunday. As most of the people following this thread will know the bike activated the F1 warning light after fitting the new TPS. The bike is booked into a local bike mechanic tomorrow who is going to do a diagnostic check and a TPS set up.

Anyway a i started the bike and hey ho 'as expected'  the F1 light was still on so,  i left it running for 5 mins to warm up, came back and F1 light still on. Then i turned it off with the key NOT the Red cut off switch next to the twist throttle. few moments later i turned the key to the start position i.e. dash lights on etc.. but didn't press the starter button. instead i turned off the RED cut off switch and the F1 light went out. I then turned on the red cut of button the F1 light came on for one second then went out - pressed start button and now the bike is running without the F1 light on. 

Am i just being silly or does the red kill switch also act as a RESET ?? i haven't taken the bike out for a spin just sat with it running, and it all seemed to be fine. Im still taking it into get the diagnostic and set up carried out tomorrow as its booked and it would be nice to see what it shows up..

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #19 on: 23 January, 2020, 05:12:33 PM »
UPDATE - Got the bike back this afternoon. had the new TPS set up properly and a full diagnostic test done. So with that and a bit of magic dust sprinkled on it from the good folk at BDS bikes. It now seems like I have a fully functioning machine.

The ride home was only about 8 miles but it ran perfectly. No coughing ,spluttering and stalling as previous with the faulty TPS. it was actually a pleasure to ride it and I can now begin to understand why these machines are highly rated.

Looking forward to getting some good use out of it now - just need the big yellow thing in the sky to put in more of an appearance, Once aging guys thanks for all your helpful posts and advice along the way.