Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 06 Cbf1000 TPS query  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda cbf1000
  • City / Town: Wallsend
06 Cbf1000 TPS query
« on: 06 January, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »
New member query - my CBF 1000 06 reg running lumpy when warmed up. Found my TPS with water ingress. Cleaned and wiped it dry and was ok for about 20 miles but fault re occurred. Obviously water damaged. I've ordered a new one from eBay but seller is asking if it's clockwise or anti clockwise. Does anyone know ?  Also is it ok to ride with tps unplugged as it seems fine without it apart from the F1 light being on. I've changed my plugs (what a job that was) and checked coil packs and leads and they were all ok. So fault does seem to point towards tps as when it's unplugged the bike runs fine. Soon as it's plugged back in fault reoccurs.

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: 06 Cbf1000 TPS query
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »
Welcome Tony

Search 'TPS' on this forum reveals sources of supply and that it is clockwise

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=search2

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2020, 03:40:58 PM »
Much appreciated - looking through the various posts some Very informative info on this forum by the way .

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
looking at the tps from the drive side it rotates clockwise and the drive position
is at approx 10 minutes to 12
Malc

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2020, 04:20:05 PM »
Cheers Malc. New sensor on its way. I did get the moisture out of the original sensor and cleaned it out and put it back on the bike but it failed again after 20 miles or so it must have been damaged with the moisture intake. - I just left the part on the bike until the new one arrives. Would it be advisable to ride with the TPS connector plug out ? ? bike seems to rev and respond ok with it unplugged but it displays the F1 warning light as Solid when its unplugged. Ive only had the bike a few weeks and think it stood for a while prior to my ownership. Ive had it MOT'd and serviced and a new battery fitted so this hopefully is the last job to do.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2020, 05:28:26 PM »
The TPS is one of several items that help the ecu brains of the bike basically make fuel and air supply metering 'decisions' that make your bike run at optimum efficiency (allegedly!). Usually for the sake of emissions regulations, not necessarily for actual engine running reasons.
Remember when bikes and cars all ran fine without any of this sensor laden engine malarkey?  :oldie:  :008:

Without the TPS sensor, you'll run a bit richer, or leaner, than the ecu would normally decree as 'optimum' for any given moment, and you may occasionally find throttle response a bit off. If your bike runs as you say lumpy with your current (dodgy) tps sensor fitted, and fine without it (apart from the FI light), then for me I'd just run it without. Personally, I'd rather have the light on the dash than the bike running like a 3 legged donkey.

Stick a bit of tape over the FI light if it's getting on your wick.  :007:

It's only til your new TPS turns up, so I wouldn't worry about riding without the TPS.  :028:
« Last Edit: 07 January, 2020, 05:39:22 PM by Shed »

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2020, 08:03:24 PM »
Cheers for the feedback. To be honest I wasn't looking to use it as a must need means of transport . I just wanted to give it a run out to get the oily bits moving and wanted to make sure it was deemed as ok to do so with the F1 light on and the TPS unplugged (didn't want to cause any potential lasting damage by giving it a run out)  . However been told the new TPS is on route now so it should be up and about by the weekend -  Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Offline Tony p

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2020, 05:27:45 PM »
Bit disappointing but new part landed today and its wrong. Not only is the rest position if the Sensor at the 'Wrong O Clock' its anti clockwise instead of clockwise. this was even despite this being stipulated on the order. Anyway I've ordered another one from a different supplier who assures me this is the correct one. But on the off chance its a wrong part again. Does anyone have a decent link to s supplier who gets it right on the first attempt.

In other news I carefully took apart the old sensor and it was fill of water and had corrosion inside as a result. Common theme seems to be that the original O ring had perished and  allowed water inress - Honda from new don't seem to fit a gasket on this part but after market ones seem to have them supplied.

I found Its quite a hard part to track down to be honest unless im just looking in the wrong places ?

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
Art's post (reply #1) indicated where to look.

Following on from that, I can see a few on the bay of thieves using those links - are these not the correct ones ?? (some even have the bright green gaskets showing).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
Tony, you'll find the tps sensor on the cbf is also fitted to Honda cars, such as the Jazz, Acura, etc.

If you have no joy with your latest supplier, you could cast your eyes further afield to here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32660577267.html

g5guzzi on the forum got one from that link above last year, and it worked.

Only thing is, you may have a few weeks wait for it to arrive.

Keep us informed  :028: