Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Glove cuffs, under or over  (Read 800 times)

Offline Jon the mow

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Newport s wales
Glove cuffs, under or over
« on: 25 December, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Im thinking glove cuffs should be worn over A jacket sleeve/cuff, to keep the rain out, or maybe  you tuck yours under, what do you think , Iím hoping to pass my mod2 in a fortnight, so Iím gathering info, PS merry xmas

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Glove cuffs, under or over
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
Proper waterproof winter gloves with the cuffs over the jacket all day long in the rain. I has two pair of gloves (Frank Thomas Aqua and Buffalo Storm). If you ride long enough in heavy rain it can eventually find a way in and re-proofing is essential especially around the seams, I use Nik-Wax TX Wash-In, Tech Wash and TX Direct Spray On. As an all year, all weather rider I've 100% insulated my hands against water ingress by way of over mittens in summer and bar end muffs in winter. I also have a pair of 100% waterproof seal skin inner gloves but have yet to find a pair of motorcycle gloves large enough to fit over them.

Jacket collar is my only weak area and even with my Frank Thomas Aqua Touring jacket with its high line collar the rain eventually finds a way in and once it does it wicks.

« Last Edit: 26 December, 2019, 07:31:07 AM by Art »

Offline Jon the mow

« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »
Thank you great reply, The hands seem a simple solution, Iíll get that sorted, I hadnít even given the neck a second thought, I can imagine its an issue for most regular riders, maybe a seal skins neckcheaf is an idea, thanks for your feedback,  :002:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2019, 01:19:58 PM »
I think the neck line problem is more to do with movement as in 'life saver' head turns

Offline vinciebhoy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A-8
  • City / Town: Paisley
« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »
I wear my gloves tucked under my jacket sleeves as i find that in heavy or prolonged rain the water runs down the sleeves and into the gloves.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »
My Buffalo gloves have two cuffs, you can wear them three ways.

Offline Jon the mow

« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »
Thank you vinciebhoy and Art, all info digested and appropriated, will put to the test soon hopefully, sick of looking at the bike and not being able to ride it, 😂😂

Offline Jon the mow

« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »
Appreciated ( not apropriated)

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
Gloves inside (or under) the sleeve of the jacket.

I had a pair of RST Blade WP gloves leak once and upon visiting J&S the first thing they asked was this very question, and when I told them I'd worn them with the cuff of the jacket inside the glove they stated that water had obviously ran down the sleeve of the jacket and into the glove.

I've a pair of fancy heated gloves that require the jacket to put inside the glove but they do have a waterproof cuff on a pully string to prevent water working its way inside, but as above in most cases for normal gloves.

How long your gloves stay waterproof for will depend on how much money you have, or what pair you buy. Gore-tex products are generally the best against adverse weather, and if you can I'd buy at least gloves / boots from the start (jacket and trousers are expensive and I've never found decent mid-range gear to under-perform against my expectation for the price tag). The resistance against wind on the Rukka Virium's I have are amazing, but at this time of year the heated gloves win all day long.

As long as you don't suffer with cold hands or circulation issues most of the mid-range gloves should perform as expected.

Offline Steve_h

• Bike: CBF100 mk 2
  • City / Town: Teesdale
« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
Generally gloves over jacket because its windproof and easiest.
If its raining jacket over gloves to stop water running off the jacket and into the gloves.
If its stupid hot its again jacket over gloves but left loose to allow a cooling breeze up my arms - this is an emergency measure though, if its that hot I usually wear a mesh jacket.
But always, always, always gloves.

diverse-leafy