Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Motorcycle Usage Times  (Read 1640 times)

Offline adasel

• Bike: CBF 1000 FA
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Motorcycle Usage Times
« on: 16 December, 2019, 08:07:08 AM »
Hi friends.

I wanted to start a new topic because I want to revive the forum. Let our forum move a little   :123:

Who has found the ideal motorcycle?  :084:

You knows, some riders change motorcycles very often. Some also use it for years. I prefer to use the same motorcycle for an average of 4 years. But I'm determined to use my mk2 for many more years. So, how many years do you ride on average when you have a new motorcycle?

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Motorcycle Usage Times
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »
I’ve had my MK2 since December 2012 (from new) with no intentions of changing.  :028:

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2019, 02:06:11 PM »
"Ideal" is dependent on a few things: intended use, personality of the rider, whether you're carrying a passenger, etc.

My first bike was an old beat-up CB650 and, for me at the time, it was perfect. Easy to ride, easy to work on, not too powerful. Had it for three seasons, then sold it for exactly what I paid for it.

I've had my Biffer (Ml 1) for close to a decade and, for me personally, it ticks all the boxes.

Not sure what my next bike will be. Perhaps an FJR, as I know someone with one who loves it. But for now I'll stick with the Biffer.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »
It seems my CBF 1000 A-6 is my ideal motorcycle, reasonable fuel economy, inexpensive to insure and easy to maintain.

After having two Triumphs written off in quick succession, one just 12 weeks out of the show room and both 100% third party fault, I got this CBF as a stop gap. It was an impulse buy and an absolute bargain at £2,700 for a 12,000 miler, 1,000 cc sports tourer. The plan was to use it to tour the main dealers and eventually trade it in or sell it on for what it cost me. That was back in 2014 and five years on its ticking even more my boxes by way of a few essential modifications including HID dipped beam, DRL's, accessory sockets and Sat Nav. It's never let me down, never seen a dealers either inside or out, so the question remains what will thousands of hard earned get me that I don't already have?

We'll just have to grow gracefully older together.

Happy Days

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2019, 07:07:26 PM »
My Mk1 Biffer was without doubt the best bike I have had in over 60 years riding. I had it for 7 years and it did everything remarkable well. Very reluctantly I had to sell it to my son three years ago as it was getting too heavy for me to push around, and when fully loaded I found it very difficult to hold up when on a camber. (I'm vertically challenged.)

My son has a Blackbird but what bike do you think he rides with his wife on the back, even if he calls it his 'moped'. I say 'sold', but I'm still waiting...…  (OK they are going through hard times but at least it is helping them get around. That's what parent are for.)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline C_b_bs

• Bike: CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: Wrabness
« Reply #5 on: 18 December, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »
Every bike I've ever owned has been the best at the time. Usually buy a bike for what I want to do next and so they fit the bill at the time. OK so the fruity green SS50 5 speed was a requirement to get moving and a KH400 was just a mad lurch to get a 2 stroke again many years after RD250 (on L plates  :007: ) RD400 and RD350LC passions. The later was a pure track machine.  Right now I've a Tango 250, that at 107Kg mounts on the back of our motorhome and sets us free as we pitch up all over the UK. The current CBF1000 will give us city breaks all over Europe and will eventually take me and my wife back to her native Russia. Obviously the Biffer is a far superior bike to the Tangy but it's never going to be as perfect at being a symbiont to a motorhome. Not only that but a month without a pair of powered wheels would bring on tremors  :005: So right now these are the two perfect machines for me  :015: But the LC that I built for Prody racing will always be my soul mate even if it did but pins in my wrist and forced other bones to reconnect  :007:

Offline ToonCBF

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 GT
  • City / Town: Market Harboroug
« Reply #6 on: 19 December, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
I used to get bored and change my bikes after a couple of years, that changed when I had my Triumph Sprint RS 955, I would have kept it forever but for a woman in a Peugeot 206 knock me off and do a runner. The Sprint RS was amazing!!

I have had my Biffer for 6 months now and feel it is a great bike, not in absolute raptures about it like my Sprint, however, it is a bloody close thing. May keep it for a good while!!
I have the body of an 18 year old...... I keep it in the freezer!!!! (Spike Milligan)

Offline Steelworker

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 1000ABS
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: 20 December, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
I use my CBF1000 mainly for weekend bike rally camping events. With the full hard luggage package i.e. top box and panniers plus sensible lower bungee fixing points and tank bag I can carry tent plus loads of camping stuff (including beer!).
I do my own servicing also on this bike which is fairly straightfoward.
I've had my bike ten years now and the sheer practicality of this machine has steered me away from changing to something else   which would be something a lot heavier such as a Gold Wing ect.

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2019, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm one of those tightwads that hates spending money for something that isn't ideal for the purpose, a VFR750 for courier work in the smoke and Leeds, a hornet 600 to get me to work and back, a Blackbird for touring, and finally, the Biffer as the Bird is getting heavier as I'm getting older. :015: and NO intention of getting a smaller bike if my CBF1000 goes on getting heavier.  :138: 
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 19 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2019, 10:20:29 PM »
The ideal motorbike! Hmmm. So many requirements from so many people that I doubt there is such a thing. If you live in the middle of Saigon, a cheap oriental number with a small engine would be good. If you live in many parts of the USA where they don't have bends or rain, a Harley fits the bill. I could go on...

Theoretically, to find the best bike for you, you would have to try nearly every bike out. Not really possible. As we all do, a paper sift (in the head, if that make sense) takes place and we narrow down the choices to a few likely suspects. Then we get one of them. Learn to live with it, get used to it's foibles and over time, learn to get the best from it. It then becomes the ideal bike for you.

Having said that, at various times in history, my ideal bike has been a Raleigh moped, a Honda CB250G5, a 2002 Fireblade and a Biffer. With a few that were nearly there in between.
« Last Edit: 22 December, 2019, 10:21:11 PM by pedro »

diverse-leafy