Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lowering the CBF1000  (Read 890 times)

Offline Fair Weather rider

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Tenbury Wells
Lowering the CBF1000
« on: 05 December, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »
Hi all, I'm thinking of lowering my Biff, I can with the seat on the lowest setting, just about get my both feet on the deck, but only just, could do with an inch (no pun intended)
Has anyone done this or knows the best method of doing it?

Cheers, Mike.

Offline the jocktor

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000fac-gt
  • City / Town: falkirk
Re: Lowering the CBF1000
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
Maybe get the seat done,little off the height or width will make a difference.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »
Narrow the width of the seat by removing some of the padding.

Iíve a 29Ē inside leg, and Iím fine with the standard seat on the middle position. I had the seat covered and a gel pad put in which made the seat slightly wider and pushed my hips out. Not by much, but enough to make it awkward to get my feet flat and make my hips ache.

Gone back to the standard seat.  :028:

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2019, 08:10:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
Narrow the width of the seat by removing some of the padding.

Iíve a 29Ē inside leg, and Iím fine with the standard seat on the middle position. I had the seat covered and a gel pad put in which made the seat slightly wider and pushed my hips out. Not by much, but enough to make it awkward to get my feet flat and make my hips ache.

Gone back to the standard seat.  :028:
Don't really want to touch seat as it is comfortable and am afraid is will spoil looks.
I was wondering if Honda or some after market company do a lowering link, (Dog Bone)
I am also 29 inside leg, but am getting older and probably shrinking, would love to have my feet firmly planted on the deck. Thanks for reply.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2019, 12:35:21 AM »
27" inside leg here and I make do with one foot, my only problem is when loaded up for touring or a weekend away as you will see. For my two penneth a lowering kit should be a last resort because there will always be some compromise in the handling, some things to consider include

Clearance between rear wheel/hugger and under tray.
Side stand and centre stand will need replacement or modification.
Ground clearance and foot pegs grounding sooner.
Lower the front by an equal amount.
Clearance between front mudguard and nose cone/radiator.

If fitting a longer link arm (dog bone) bear in mind a fraction of an inch can make a difference of several inches in the ride height. I've heard of the front being lowered by means of raising the fork legs in the yokes, never tried it and you do this at your own risk.
Other options are a complete replacement rear shock or replace the shock springs with shorter progressive springs. Not sure how easy you'll find replacing the rear shock spring is, the front springs are easy. Spring kits are freely available and include shortened progressive springs fore and aft, oil and all you need to complete the task bar the spanners.

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2019, 09:36:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
27" inside leg here and I make do with one foot, my only problem is when loaded up for touring or a weekend away as you will see. For my two penneth a lowering kit should be a last resort because there will always be some compromise in the handling, some things to consider include

Clearance between rear wheel/hugger and under tray.
Ground clearance and foot pegs grounding sooner.
Lower the front by an equal amount.
Clearance between front mudguard and nose cone/radiator.

If fitting a longer link arm (dog bone) bear in mind a fraction of an inch can make a difference of several inches in the ride height. I've heard of the front being lowered by means of raising the fork legs in the yokes, never tried it and you do this at your own risk.
Other options are a complete replacement rear shock or replace the shock springs with shorter progressive springs. Not sure how easy you'll find replacing the rear shock spring is, the front springs are easy. Spring kits are freely available and include shortened progressive springs fore and aft, oil and all you need to complete the task bar the spanners.
Some good points raised there Art, looks like the seat is the easiest option, think I might buy a second hand one and have a fiddle. Thanks for that. Mike.