Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best replacement Air Filter  (Read 586 times)

Offline ToonCBF

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 GT
  • City / Town: Market Harboroug
Best replacement Air Filter
« on: 21 November, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
Looking to put a K&N filter in my 2010 Biffer, anyone got any experience of them? Are they worth the extra money?

Had one on my Triumph and it made a bit of difference, just wondering if it will do the same for the Biffer, or are there any alternatives.....

Many thanks

:300: :300: :300: :300: :300: :300:
I have the body of an 18 year old...... I keep it in the freezer!!!! (Spike Milligan)

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: Best replacement Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
Hi-Flo has always been my go to brand, and with the air filter on the CBF being as easy as removing the side cover and three screws the need to replace it perhaps more than a K&N really means nothing.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2019, 03:04:15 AM »
+1 for the Hiflo (HFA1927)

Not a fan of K&N's or any of the other re-usable air filters on the market and I can do without the time, effort and expense in cleaning them. Had one in my Triumph and the camshafts on that were destroyed by some gritty contamination of the engine oil. Whether that was down to the K&N or just coincidental I don't know. What I do know is these re-usable filters are less restrictive and therefore don't filter out as much as a regular air filter such as the Hiflo will do.

Offline ToonCBF

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 GT
  • City / Town: Market Harboroug
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
Thanks, I have ordered a HiFlo and will enjoy fitting it!!
I have the body of an 18 year old...... I keep it in the freezer!!!! (Spike Milligan)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2019, 02:50:04 PM »
I think cost is an important factor too

Hiflo (HFA1927) disposal air filter at c£15.00 each every 20,000 miles.
K&N (HA1009 & 99-5050BK) re-usable air filter & K&N recharger (cleaning) kit c£75.00

That's a mega 100,000 mile service plan!

Offline Moose1

• Bike: CBF1000 GT MK1
  • City / Town: Dublin
« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »
Just completed service on bike last night.

Put a k and n filter in. €53 euro from Sportsbikeshop at the moment.

Compared to €20 for hiflo. Not a massive jump as want to keep for good few years 👍

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2019, 11:09:00 PM »
Don't forget you have to get down and get dirty cleaning, drying off and re-oiling it. Note too if it runs dry of oil it's not doing what it says on the box not that, in my experience, K&N's do what it says on the box ;-)
« Last Edit: 22 November, 2019, 11:21:55 PM by Art »

Offline kleopapas

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A (F9)
  • City / Town: Enfield
« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
Hello Toon,

I put in a K&N filter when I got my bike nearly ten years ago;

Since then I have ridden nearly 70,000 miles, up hill and down dale, all over France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Austria - plus commuting every day.

I've never bothered cleaning it and neither have I detected even the slightest change in performance either way.

I have read many claims here and elsewhere about what a difference changing the stock air filter makes but personally, I have seen no difference other than saving money on replacing air filters!

All I can tell you is that I have had no issues.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll take a look at it this weekend!

:028: Kleo
"As a parent you're only as good as your dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel prize and the other one gets robbed by a hooker, you've failed"

Online iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
At 72.75 years young I sometimes have the benefit of overpowering wisdom. This usually manifests itself in the form of a question. In this air filter issue the question would be as follows;

Would I prefer an air filter made  & fitted by the designers & manufacturers  of my machine which is changed for new at a frequency specified by them or an item made by some "minor"(compared to the Honda Motor Co.)  organisation at around three times the price & endure some hit & miss cleaning routine which is alleged to maintain its efficiency?
Time for my evening tipple I think. Goodnight all.Ed. :025:

Online iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
Interesting  line from Kleos Air Filter post......I've never bothered cleaning it. :087: Ed.

diverse-leafy