Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF 1000 weight  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: CBF 1000 weight
« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »
I've owned CBF1000, CBF600 and the 865 Bonneville (affectionately remembered below) and then some. As far as I remember I don't recall any one of them being any easier or any more difficult to push around than the others. If I was a gambling man I'd wager the Bonneville had the lowest seat height and was possible a little more nimble filtering through traffic but overall weight wise it was a close call between the three. Where I did notice a big difference was the out of town country roads handling where the Hondas easily won the day. For looks alone I'd have another Bonneville tomorrow but that's just me being sentimental of my youth. Every time my mind wanders to the subject of replacing the CBF 1000 I ask myself "what will the replacement do that the CBF1000 doesn't"? Until I can answer that question sufficiently to justify shelling out 1,000's of hard earned the CBF 1000 and I shall age gracefully together.

You're weight and height shouldn't be a problem I'm a little younger, a little shorter and a little heavier than you and manage the CBF1000 without issue although I do tend to have it on the side stand to get my leg over. Get on down to a dealer or two and give 'em all a go and don't forget to try lifting them on/off the centre stands, you'll find it's not so easy as the 125 but with practice and the right technique its easy enough.

@Ianrobbo1 If that was wobbling into Squires I've been there and done that in style. Arrived at Squires one Friday afternoon after a 140 mile non-stop ride in, put my foot down and nothing. The Bonne' landed on the engine crash bars without damage but with me underneath, full top box and panniers for a weeks tour of the Lake District and I was properly trapped. While my riding companions quickly searched for their mobile phones for the picture opportunity 3 or 4 complete strangers assisted to get the Bonne' back on its wheels and me, feeling like a right muppet, on my feet. On the plus side the Bonne and I were both upright before any photographs got taken - So technically it didn't happen.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »
I am chuckling to myself a little bit here.... you think the Biffer is heavy, LOL.... the reason I got one is after having a Goldwing (900 lbs), and ST1300 (700+ lbs), two FJR's (650+ lbs.), I wanted a lighter sport touring bike for my "old age".  Biffer alledgedly weighs in at 535 lbs. wet, and it's a dream to ride and push around....... hard for me to imagine it's a hardship, but I do understand.... Yamaha FZ1 is 485 lbs. and a ton more horsepower if you dare... how about a nice VFR800...

Offline Eh2zed

• CBF Member
  • I know...no wait...I don't know..
  • Bike: CBF1000AT8
  • City / Town: Port Hope, ONT.
« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »
With almost the same horsepower the Kawasaki ZX6E weighs only 430lbs. It’s a really good bike and I have done 14 hour days on it. It’s reliable and comfortable. Used ones are relatively inexpensive.

Offline Bob-E

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: glasgow
« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
not been on here for a while so hope not to late for conversation.  I have a cbf1000mk2 gt  and a bonneville se . the triumph is much the easier bike to move around and ride . I'm 68 and finding the honda increasingly difficult due to weight , and i think another couple of years perhaps before it needs to go , but i'll manage the bonny for much longer. hope this helps.

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #14 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
I run exactly the same 2 bikes. The CBF for touring and the Bonnie for fun. The CBF is starting to feel a bit heavy but l came from a GTR 1400 which was heavier still. I will be 75 next month and awaiting the results of some possible health issues before l can decide what, if anything, l will be riding in the future

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #15 on: 24 November, 2019, 02:35:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by moayling [+]
I run exactly the same 2 bikes. The CBF for touring and the Bonnie for fun. The CBF is starting to feel a bit heavy but l came from a GTR 1400 which was heavier still. I will be 75 next month and awaiting the results of some possible health issues before l can decide what, if anything, l will be riding in the future
I hope all is well, at least not so bad you have to give up riding - even a lighter bike for shorter distances. I'm hoping I can get out on my F800 GT after my bruised head allows me to wear my helmet. (OK I shouldn't have been running in the dark and in torrential rain to get back to our house; it has been a painful reminder there is a curb to step up!)

I do find my F800 GT much lighter to move around than my CBF, and if you keep the revs up it can move. But if you get one I bet you'll stall it a few times after the CBF as first gear is much higher and of course it lacks low revs torque compared with what we are used to. Thinking of you,
Ken
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #16 on: 24 November, 2019, 07:39:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
I hope all is well, at least not so bad you have to give up riding - even a lighter bike for shorter distances. I'm hoping I can get out on my F800 GT after my bruised head allows me to wear my helmet. (OK I shouldn't have been running in the dark and in torrential rain to get back to our house; it has been a painful reminder there is a curb to step up!)

I do find my F800 GT much lighter to move around than my CBF, and if you keep the revs up it can move. But if you get one I bet you'll stall it a few times after the CBF as first gear is much higher and of course it lacks low revs torque compared with what we are used to. Thinking of you,
Ken

Thanks Ken. Sorry to hear about your fall, although, if memory serves me correctly you have form for doing this. Usually after a dram or two.
Hope you and your good lady are keeping well and maybe you will be able to catch up with the rest of us next year.
Best wishes
Mo

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #17 on: 25 November, 2019, 10:05:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by moayling [+]
Thanks Ken. Sorry to hear about your fall, although, if memory serves me correctly you have form for doing this. Usually after a dram or two.
Hope you and your good lady are keeping well and maybe you will be able to catch up with the rest of us next year.
Best wishes
Mo
I didn't have that excuse this time! I do hope I can catch up next year as I miss the 'gang' and the social fun when the day's riding is finished.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline asb

• CBF Member
« Reply #18 on: 01 December, 2019, 04:27:43 PM »
I have found this a very interesting thread.  I too (at 70 plus) found my lovely Mk II a little too heavy for garage manoeuvres.  I sold it and bought a 765 triumph RS which weighs the same as the real original bonnie.  Although I like it and it is light I miss my Biffer and I thought about getting a CBF 600 as well, hoping it would feel much lighter.  Now I have met at least 2 guys whose wives were riding the 600 version - if they feel just as heavy then what 's going on?

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #19 on: 01 December, 2019, 06:19:34 PM »
According to MCN reviews its not surprising that Twiump's 675 RS Stweet Twiple is easier to move around the garage and forecourts, it weighs in at just 166Kg which is

30Kg less than a 2004-2007 CBF 600
55Kg less than 2008-2013 CBF 600
55Kg less than a 2006-2009 CBF 1000
80Kg less than a 2010 onward CBF 1000 (is that right +25Kg over the earlier model?)

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/search-results/

diverse-leafy