Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF 1000 weight  (Read 368 times)

Offline fifthwheel

• City / Town: pontefract
CBF 1000 weight
« on: 08 November, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
Hi all, first post just joined. I am an old timer 72 I have just past my test and am looking to buy my first big bike.
I am about 5ft 9in/10in  12.5 stone and I think long enough in the leg to ride a CBF mk1.
I have a Yam cbr125 at the moment but am a bit concerned about the weight of the Honda.
I passed my test on an ER6 10 plate and on some of the slow maneuvers I struggled a bit in fact on the figure of eight I dropped it.
I can now put my feet down after passing my test if need be, but my question is will the Honda be too heavy for me?

Thanks john

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
Re: CBF 1000 weight
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum John,without doubt the Biffer is quite a hefty bike but very nimble even at low speeds.As regards leg length Im only 5ft8 and can reach the ground comfortably on the medium seat setting.The best advice I can give you is to find a local dealer with one for sale and go and sit on it and maybe take it for a test drive.Think positive and enjoy

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
IMHO the biffer is a bit heavy when pushing and manoeuvring around by hand. However once moving under itís own power it is very easy to ride and the weight just disappears once rolling, slow speed/trickling pose no problems. Seat height on the lowest setting you should have no problems getting both feet flat on the floor when stopping. I have a mk1 and have seat on lowest setting, no problems at all getting my feet down, I have 30 inch inside leg, weigh around 14 stone. So a bit heavier than you so suspension probably settles a bit lower than yours would. Try and find one locally in a dealers and ask for a sit on it, and see how it feels. Well done on passing your test. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Offline fifthwheel

« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm a bit like a Tom Tit on a roundabout I dont really know what I want, I like the look of the Honda but have also been fancying A Triumph T100.
What I want I don't suppose exists, I am after a bit of power if and when needed also a bike with classic looks that's not too heavy.  john

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »
Have a look at a Honda CBF600. Lots of choice of bikes out there. Try to get a test ride before you buy, lots of people buy the wrong bike, but donít realise it till they have parted with their money, got it home, started to ride it and realise for whatever reason itís not what they want or need.

Offline fifthwheel

« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »
Trying not to sound too stupid but could panniers and a box be fitted to the CBR 600 to hide the big gap between the tyre and mudguard. I think it spoils the look of so many bikes today.  john

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2019, 07:21:11 PM »
CBF600SA doesnít feel much lighter than a MK2 CBF1000 when pushing around.

Iíve got the 1000 and my wife rides the 600. I do all the pushing around, so I can tell you thereís not a lot in it.

Ask the dealer to let you push it around, see what you think. :028:

Even harder with luggage on.
« Last Edit: 08 November, 2019, 07:22:33 PM by phild »

Offline wpbrown

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A
  • City / Town: Portadown
« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
Well done on getting your test!  :028:

I'm 5'9" and can flat foot the CBF1000 (mk 1) easily with seat on lowest setting. Important in inspiring confidence.

The weight of the bike disappears on the move and really can only be felt whilst pushing the bike around the garage/driveway etc.

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »
Hiya John, I'm 5"6 and can get my feet on the floor, the biffer is a heavy bike to shove about "though as said it disappears once moving" my suggestion would be to take a trip to Castle motors and have a word with them, they have plenty of choices and are easy to talk to, try and take an experienced biker with you that can point out any faults and tricks to help you decide, simple things such as "can't bend my arms back to use the clutch/brake" this can be sorted by moving the leavers, so many people are unaware of little adjustments like this.good luck and hope to see you "wobble"  :062: in to Squares one day!!  :152:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 19 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline fifthwheel

« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
Thanks everybody will go and sit on a bike and report back, maybe I am over thinking this. 

PS cant see a like or thanks button. john