Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clunking engine. Please help  (Read 235 times)

Offline Scottoftherock

Clunking engine. Please help
« on: 07 November, 2019, 07:53:30 AM »
Hi folks just bought my first bike A second hand cbf. The bike sounds nice and smooth running when just sitting and running in neutral but when I pull in the clutch even while Iím neutral I get a sort of clunk in time with the piston firing the sounds like itís coming from the bottom end of the engine. When you release the clutch everything is good but pull it back in and the same happens. Iíll attach a link to a YouTube video of the bike running and also making the noise. You can see when the clutch is pulled but the cable moving in the video.
Any advice from knowledgeable people about what might be the issue and where I should start looking would be helpful.
Iím pretty handy with my trade and can fix a car no worries but would like an idea of where to start looking and what for from someone before I get into trying to solve the issue. Thanks for any help in advance

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Clunking engine. Please help
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
If the clunk was in time with the piston firing it would be clunking 100's of times per minute. That aside you've answered your own question the problem appears to be a clutch rattle indicating something is worn or failing in the clutch. Possible the plates, could be the springs an exploratory strip down should reveal all.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »
Mmm, not a biffer though.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline ushirlo

• CBF Member
  • nabijen te........
  • Bike: cbf1000f
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
CBF 500.....
ae..............

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
It doesn't take much to take the cover off and have a look... if high mileage, maybe a little wear on the clutch basket slots?, maybe a loose spring?.... worth a look I'd say.  EZ enough to disassemble the clutch plates and reassemble....