Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stalling engine  (Read 475 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Stalling engine
« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2019, 08:35:24 AM »
So braking was a red herring! We appear to be at all is well when idling in neutral vs idling in gear with the clutch depressed and the engine cuts out. So what's the difference?

Idling in gear with the clutch depressed puts a slight load on the engine slightly lowering the RPM so we may be looking for a fuelling or ignition system fault. This could be any number of failings including the IACV or TPS as above or many other parts too from a clogged air filter or an air intake leak to a failing oxygen sensor or anything in between and there is much in between.

If you jump straight in replacing parts willy nilly this could become a proper money pit. Service history can help here by checking any work carried out immediately prior to the fault developing and tending to any service items that have been ignored or are overdue. Other than that you need to work your way through the fuelling and ignition systems inspecting, testing and proving each component to be in a serviceable condition. Eventually the real culprit will be found.

The obvious starting point (especially since you're riding around all those dusty sandy coastal roads) is the air intake including air filter, air intake leaks and crankcase breather tube. Spark plugs are another obvious starting point and possibly an exception to the 'willy nilly' rule in that they are such a pain to get at you may as well replace them while you're there but don't forget to inspect their condition for reference purposes. I also like to carry out cylinder compression tests when replacing spark plugs which, in your case, may be of some benefit in eliminating any internal engine failings.

Good luck

Offline Itswatto

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Hobart
« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
Thank you for the advice.  No doubt it will be something simple.  I will forge forward and let you know how I go.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
Just re-reading your OP and it did make me wonder.

Not the bank-angle sensor (just because) but maybe the run relay isn't 100% (had any problems with the headlights and swapped one?).
The relays are the same so you could do that swap to eliminate it (I know, not a five minute job).
Need to double check the mkI wiring as I only have room in my head for the mkII.
- Do work through the issue methodically though, I am not suggesting you poke and hope at everything possible.

Of interest; is the tickover steady under all other circumstances - trying it when compressing the forks with and without clutch - and is the low throttle action smooth?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Itswatto

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Hobart
« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
Runs smoothly on low throttle. I will look into your suggestion.  I will have a busy weekend ahead.

Thanks