Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Key  (Read 351 times)

Offline Victorthou

• CBF Member
New Key
« on: 12 October, 2019, 05:32:55 PM »
Well I broke my key in the top box (luckily before my trip just as  I was packing!!) So down to 1 key. Not happy with this after reading in the forums about the HISS system. Local key cutter and Timpsons couldn't help so a trip to Honda Sutton Motorcycles in Bromsgrove.  New key £25 and booked into get it re-programmed (£30).  Turns out the Key cutters they use in Bromsgrove (Bromsgrove Cobbler) could do the whole job cheaper! And He was a biker!  As i'd booked it with Honda I just used them but if you need a new bike key and re-programmed in the Bromsgrove area i'd recommend the 'Cobbler'.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: New Key
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »
Very helpful information for me, but I realise I'm probably one of the few.

To be fair to Sutton M/C both times I phoned them -- once after getting the bike to ask what the process to getting a second one cut was, and when Timpsons wouldn't touch the key -- they were helpful.

I don't see in what area "The Cobblers (the key cutters themselves)" could be cheaper? There's no way that they can programme the key (I'd assume) to work with the H.I.S.S; do you mean they could sell and cut the key cheaper than what Sutton M/C did?

I just ordered mine from DavidSilverSpares since its O.E.M Honda blank and there's only one "correct" key for this which is why I was confused when Timpsons try to charge me £60 upwards for key + cutting when I had one in my hand.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »
There is a DIY option here using the now world famous 'ghetto cable'. YouTubers explain it better than me. Don't fret that the star of this video is a 2006 CBR1000RR, a HISS key is a HISS key regardless of model or year.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2019, 01:24:17 PM »
Very timely... I  have misplaced my second key and have ordered blanks from China as well as chips (which I am hoping are the right ones)..... will follow the video instructions..... thanks for posting, Art... I had visions of going to a key guy to program it at some expense.  Now I have more beer money, lol.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:24:52 PM »
I'll drink to that ;-)

Offline Victorthou

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
Hope the re programming goes well. I thought about doing it myself but after due consideration and the fact my local key cutters wouldn't cut a key they hadn't supplied. I went to the dealer. As I said I found the cobblers in Bromsgrove was a biker and he has all the kit to do the work. I suspect in the same way the 'you tuber' could do it.

Offline junior

• Bike: CBF1000A MK1
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2019, 07:40:08 PM »
If you have the old key, broken or no matter what, an other solution is to buy a new key  cut it, and remove from the old key the  chip, which is placed under the black finish, you carefully get off the plastic, there is a soft gel which has inside the chip, cut the perimeter off the old, and the new and change it, then re glue the plastic and you 're done so you don't need to reprogram the key
« Last Edit: 15 October, 2019, 07:47:08 PM by junior »

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:26:17 AM »
Ive used "keys in the post"

their keys come with a little slot to put your chip in

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:44:28 PM »
Used them as well, excellent service.  They also offer blanks with stronger material made by "JMA".  These also have a small snap in/out carrier for the "HISS" chip so all you need to do is prise it out from the old key, clean off most of the silicon adhesive and pop it in the new key, simples !
In addition, they also made me a couple pf extra keys to use in the petrol cap, pillion seat catch, top box, etc.  These have fewer "notches" than the standard ignition key and so are not prone to break.  They won't work in the ignition, of course.
If you have the key code number they don't need the old one as a pattern.
Good luck anyway.
Cheers,
Paul.

diverse-leafy