Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Disconnecting the sidestand?  (Read 240 times)

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Disconnecting the sidestand?
« on: 09 October, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
Hi,

Would like to disconnect the sidestand switch due to intermittent starting issues and would like to know if there's any particular effects on this model for leaving it unplugged (beside the obvious chance of riding off with it down)?

Am aware the sidestand switch is behind the stand (as I've removed the sidestand previously), but does anyone know what panels you need to remove to trace it to the plug? L/H side cover or front L/H panel / tank up too?

In regards to the starting issue its just slow first time from cold on the button and attempts to turn over but does nothing for the first time for a few seconds and then mostly works on the second. Tightened positive battery terminal up. Next one after the sidestand is making sure the boots on the spark plug are connected properly. Not majorly concerned because just seems like somethings loose or causing issues somewhere.

edit: found the green 2p connector page for stand switch removal in manual. Question about effects still stands.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 09 October, 2019, 10:55:28 AM by NJD »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Disconnecting the sidestand?
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »
If you disconnect the side stand switch and part of the switch wiring to eliminate the problem wouldn't you have solved where the problem is?

Is the starting issue an initial failure to crank (turn over) or to fire up? If its an initial failure to crank but then starts it can only be a battery or starter motor issue. If it cranks well with an initial failure to fire up it could also be a battery issue or many other things. Because it fires up after the initial refusal to play I'd suspect a condensation issue, check the air filter, air filter housing and crankcase breather.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2019, 10:24:43 PM »
I wanted to disconnect the side-stand as I'm aware it's a common problem for causing starting issues due to road crud in, and around, the contact area at the bottom on the stand itself. I just wanted to check that there wasn't any kickback on this bike particular from simply disconnecting the green plug that connects the side stand to the bikes wiring.

Cranks all the time without issue, but takes a few seconds to fire up on the first time starting the bike from cold; but even happened today after starting up in preparation to return from work so occurs once the bikes been sitting for a certain time-frame (presumably enough for the engine, and everything else, to go cold).

I'm going to take the battery out and check the level of charge. It's fairly new and has never fallen below 95% but wouldn't hurt to check it.

I did have the crankcase breather hose disconnected when I changed the spark plugs, but will try the easier stuff before going back through all the body strip to check it out. If I go that far in then I'll probably check it isn't a loose spark plug boot too (as the entire spark plug area is so fiddly and hard to do).

Air filter is cheap HiFlo one but would only have done about 1,000-,1500 miles at most (and that's over estimating). Will check it out though since is easy to do.

The lights on the dash did reset once too: as in I went to start it for a few seconds, stopped pressing the starter button and then the HISS/ABS/FI came on and then went out again as if I'd turned the ignition off and on but hadn't (well the HISS/FI went out as it should and the ABS stayed on as it should until above certain speed).

Edit: I'm reading people have issue with cold starts as the air temp drops anyhow, not entirely sure that's it but do the CBF struggle to start due to battery exposure (since its only a side cover over it) in the colder months/days (today was cold-ish)?

Edit #2: condensation might be the case as I have white smoke blowing out the exhaust this morning even though it hadn't rained last night and seemed weird when I noticed it.

:028:
« Last Edit: 09 October, 2019, 10:38:22 PM by NJD »

Online raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2019, 01:37:08 AM »
Perhaps you don't understand the sidestand switch function.  It must be closed for the bike to crank, and is a part of the conditions that must be present for the bike to crank over.  Simply unplugging it means it will be "open" and not satisfying one of the conditions.  It has nothing to do with taking longer to start or running poorly.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »
^ Wouldn't agree with that: winter crud kicked up on the sidestand switch is a common issue causing bikes not to start due to the bike thinking its down when its up etc; don't have to look far on forums to see that.

Performed a whole bunch of small jobs and it fired without issue.

• Replaced the FI Ignition Fuse as the blades (not internal but the two external long ones) were darkened.
  • Air filter is clean
  • Battery was at 95% and charged fully without issue

Only one that reoccurred was the positive battery terminal being loose on the Motobatt (allen head bolts are hard to get to due to deisgn of the terminal). Might swap sides and see if that's any easier if I need to remove it again.

One of them issues that are going to last a few days to see if solved due to it being a cold start issue etc.

Thanks for help Art, will keep updated.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »
Are you saying the battery positive terminal keeps coming loose? What else have you on the terminal bolt other than the stock connector?

Do you have the stock exhaust? The stock silencers have a drain hole to reduce the risk of condensation entering the combustion chamber via the exhaust system.
« Last Edit: 10 October, 2019, 12:12:46 PM by Art »

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
Yes re battery comments. The battery terminal looks like like below, and the gold piece is removable. It screws into the battery slot but access to do that is not as open as I'd like. Golden terminal has as lot in to allow more room for an allen key.

I've only got the oxford hotgrips connector (thin piece of metal). I've installed it a bit difference this time: I've squashed the hotgrips connector between the bikes battery lead and the temrinal block on the battery to see if that helps.

And no on the exhaust. I have a set of viper cans and link pipes. I'd forgot about such a simple thing like the drain hole. Something to remember as the weather will continue to decline in temperature.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »
Some battery terminals just don't like additional ring connectors especially the smaller connectors that just have a machine screw into the battery post without an opposing nut. A serrated washer may be a solution but you really don't want to tighten the terminal with anything more than a nip. The main cable lug should be nearest to the battery post and any more than one additional ring connector is a failure waiting to happen.

Those heated grips should be wired to the battery via a switched change over relay. I know the Oxford grips come with this built in battery saving trickery but this can fail, kick in late and leave you with an almost flat battery. Also the problem you're experiencing could be due to that thin Oxford ring connector. If it is too thin and too hard it is difficult to get a secure connection. Ring connectors should be 2 to 3 mm thick and made of a soft material so that they compress when tightened against.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
The main issue with the battery was more the bolt that holds the terminal (gold piece) into the battery rather than the bikes battery lead onto the terminal (of which stays in place); as above tight acess and probably vibration. Not entirely loose but enough for the gold battery terminal to move around a little between the battery and the bolt head -- which it doesn't when tight.

Burnt blade fuse on the FI Ignition (20amp by the battery) could have been contributing.

Started the few times I tried it from cold earlier, but couldn't be bothered to ride. See how it fares later on in the week.  :152: