Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips  (Read 624 times)

Offline Raphe

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Heated grips
« on: 02 October, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
Hi all,
  I have a cbf1000 gt 08 with factory fitted heated grips. In May this year I fitted a new motobat battery. Now, the problem I have is there just isnít enough power being produced to power the grips even on half to three quarter power. This just canít be right. By rights I would have thought I could run the grips on full power if I needed to. I did 30 miles of 60-80 mph and all I had was all three lights flashing furiously all the way home and not producing any heat. I do know that if the bottom light flashes it indicates low voltage. I have had a volt Meter on the battery and itís fine. Had a new stator fitted last year. Could the grips be goosed, would the problem be sorted by fitting oxford grips?

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
Re: Heated grips
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2019, 08:58:40 PM »
Looks like it might be a grounding issue. I'm no whizbang when it comes to electrics, but I had a similar issue with my grips years ago and took it in for service; they mechanic said it was a ground problem. Easily fixed, 20 minutes work,
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Raphe

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2019, 09:48:50 PM »
Thanks silverdart, Iíll look in to that. It does make sense.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »
I had O.E.M heated grips when I purchased my CBF MK1 not long ago but replaced them for Oxford grips as the O.E.M ones never even heated up in the time I tried them to even close to satisfactory level. £40-50 IIRC for the Oxford adventure grips with the work done myself and jobs a good'en. If you do go the Oxford route then get some Gorilla glue as the one supplied is just basic super glue and the grip will come loose from the throttle tube and twist independently -- as I found out 50 miles from home on what should have been a day out.

My O.E.M grips were just tapped into the bikes front brake light switch and horn wiring, don't recall them being connected to the battery (suppose various ways to install).

Do keep in mind the air temperature is lowering and while you're doing 60-70* mph the wind chill effect -- unless you have hand deflectors or alike -- will cool things down.

I'd just take them off with a hair dryer, clean the left over glue with brake cleaner (and a good scrub) and replace with Oxford -- plus the Oxford heat controller has a low battery indicator as an added bonus. I'd buy another used throttle tube from eBay or alike and sell whatever you can salvage of your O.E.M setup (once satisfied with Oxford) on eBay to recoup some monies. I did and got more than I paid for the Oxford's back.  :028:

Offline Fair Weather rider

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Tenbury Wells
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2019, 07:35:34 PM »
Thank for the info NJD I am about to buy a set of heated grips and you have solved all my queries.
Where to pick up power and which ones to buy and of course the Gorilla tip

Thanks.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2019, 11:55:57 AM »
No worries.

Just remember the L/H grip is glued to the handlebar and the R/H grip is glued to the plastic throttle tube (not the plastic tube to the handlebar).

Do them one by one, and make a visual note of how the part of the grip closest to the handlebar is positioned currently for stress free installation.

With the gorilla glue you'll need something to cut away the excess as it could -- and has for me previously -- prevented throttle grip movement (cut away as much as you can before going for a test ride). It's strong stuff so don't overuse it.

Be careful with the return cable in the throttle grip housing too: I had a right old pain attempting to remove it. Lifting the tank and loosening it at the main adjuster may be the way forward but that makes installation a lot longer.

I routed my cables from the battery under the tank and between the front fairing and mainly hidden around underneath the handlebar area without the need to dismantle any panels. Works but could do with better cable management.

Best of luck.

Offline Raphe

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
Guess what! As I suspected stator burnt out. Less than 2k since last replacement! This time it was replaced with an Electrex stator and an electrex  reg/rec. I hope I can get my confidence back with this model of bike with this work (£375), as nothing else has given me any problems what so ever.
 I thought the grips werenít faulty, they did there job an told me there was a voltage problem, so fingers crossed I will get another year of trouble free riding befor3 I start looking at a pan euro*%an or an for 1300.
Note to anyone out there, if you have any electrical problem start with the stator.

Offline Raphe

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Raphe [+]
Guess what! As I suspected stator burnt out. Less than 2k since last replacement! This time it was replaced with an Electrex stator and an electrex  reg/rec. I hope I can get my confidence back with this model of bike with this work (£375), as nothing else has given me any problems what so ever.
 I thought the grips werenít faulty, they did there job an told me there was a voltage problem, so fingers crossed I will get another year of trouble free riding before I start looking at a pan euro*%an or an fjr1300.
Note to anyone out there, if you have any electrical problem start with the stator.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2019, 07:47:23 AM »
Point of order - All electrical problems should start with a multimeter!

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »
Agreed, but the OP did say, "I have had a volt Meter on the battery and itís fine".

When people say 'fine' or 'okay' or 'checked' I think they need to add how and what.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.