Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: rear shock upgrade  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Bob-E

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: glasgow
rear shock upgrade
« on: 24 September, 2019, 03:52:51 PM »
another question about rear suspension im afraid.  I cant get the sidestand down when we are both on the bike and three boxes with luggage, I need to tip the bike to the right to deploy or retract the stand , not ideal, plus the ride height is all wrong. We would both b e about 80 kg each plus bike gear and say 15 kg of luggage.Any idea what the spring strength is so i can specify one slightly stronger in a new unit but not too strong when I am solo.
             thanking in advance
                                       Bob E

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Re: rear shock upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2019, 03:52:06 AM »
With aftermarket suspension, you normally spring it for your weight and best have ability to add preload for two-up.  For your weight I'd say an 850 lbf/in spring would be needed (not sure what the OEM spring rate is), and perhaps a local suspension shop will change the spring for you.  You have a preload adjuster already.
For reference, I am 88kg and have an Ohlins with a 900 lbs. spring... a tad firm but not very good.  Shock has to be removed to adjust preload on that... normally, I'd like a remote hydraulic preload adjuster, and would if I were doing two-up..

Offline wastegate

• CBF Member
  • Bike: gsxs1000 cbf1000
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2020, 05:36:34 PM »
Just to say I fitted a Hagon shock earlier this month. I phoned them and asked for it to be sprung for 18st as a starting point for preload and to cater for myself, wife and a weeks worth of luggage. I also asked for the shock length to be longer to set the bike to sit 20mm higher ( to keep the rear wheel off the ground when on the mainstand ).

Hagon supplied exactly what I asked for, except the bike sits 25mm higher and the rear wheel does just touch the ground on the mainstand and it leans a little further on the sidestand, but nothing scary. When my wife get on it hardly sinks but stays supple. The difference in how it handles and how it now floats over huge potholes, even 2 up, is huge. Chicken strips front to back seem much more balanced ( if rather large at this time of year ) showing its stance is much better, which reflects in a great neutral turn in. Weirdly it matches my front nicely on a bouncey bouncey test although I may go for 12.5w oil to give a bit more damping in the forks.

I haven't bother measuring sag ( nothing, bike, bike + rider ) as it just does exactly what I wanted, but I can if anyone wants me to.

I will have to alter the preload for a weeks holiday but 2 up for a 3 hour odd ride its fine.

Compared to a number of 'high end' suspension units I and my friends have fitted to bikes which turn out to have the wrong spring on, this just works straight from the box. Pleased.

Offline bikeboybandit

• Bike: CBF1000 A9
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »
Did you also alter the fork setup along with the Hagon rear shock?
I've got a hyperpro street box full kit I'm going to mount on the bike...looking forward to feeling the differences...

Offline greybeard 2

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR
  • City / Town: Penkridge
« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
Hi I also fitted a Hagon  shock but with the remote adjuster,well worth it!.I just rang them told them what I was carrying etc etc,I've got to say it is Bang On.Also fitted their fork springs ,ok but I'm still experimenting with oil thickness.
grey beard

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »
hi

im still in the market for upgrade. was looking at the hagon.

sure somebody on here said they had to put shock in upside down to fit the hydraulic adjuster in their bike.

is that the case please?

Offline greybeard 2

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR
  • City / Town: Penkridge
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »
Hi back again,mine is a 16 plate MK11 and mine fitted straight in.
grey beard

Offline wastegate

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2020, 08:47:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by bikeboybandit [+]
Did you also alter the fork setup along with the Hagon rear shock?
I've got a hyperpro street box full kit I'm going to mount on the bike...looking forward to feeling the differences...

Hi There. Out on it for a few hours solo yesterday and ( oddly given how soft my standard Honda rear spring was )  the standard forks feel good with +1 notch of preload just for a wet winter blast. The bike bounces level at both ends but fork springs and oil thickness will make things all the better. 

I have had hyperpro on a BBird and their stuff is REALLY good. Fitted Hagon fork springs and shock to a Z750 and that made a huge improvement too. Not the most glam, but they do listen to what a customer wants and it suites what I want the bike for just fine.

Offline wastegate

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2020, 10:23:04 PM »
Just to add I dropped the yokes down the forks 7mm and the rear wheel no longer touches the ground when its on the mainstand and the bike lean, when parked, is not as severe.

diverse-leafy