Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spark Plug Wire Renewal  (Read 267 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Spark Plug Wire Renewal
« on: 23 September, 2019, 03:50:53 PM »
Alright chaps,

Been reading through the threads and came across changing the spark plug/HT leads on the Biffer. Apparently you can buy some new wire and just screw them in by cutting it to size.

Just wondering if anyone could elaborate on this job? I can’t really see how they would just “screw” into place?

Parts 6,7,8 and 9 in the exploded diagram above are priced together at exactly £100 including VAT. I could buy enough spark plug wire to cover cylinders 1 to 4 for about a tenner, saving me a huge amount of money.

Thought I’d pose the question on the forum before I lift the tank to do this job along with a spark plug change.

Thanks in advance.

A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Spark Plug Wire Renewal
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2019, 05:48:15 PM »
Screw on plug caps and coil connections is old school, the caps and connectors had a 20 mm self tapping screw shank to screw into the HT leads copper core.

Modern HT leads will be carbon cored and crimped.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »
Thanks Art, but according to the threads below it can be done by just purchasing HT lead.

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,20884.0.html

And this thread the last post #8.

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,22475.0.html

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2019, 07:46:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crispy [+]
Just wondering if anyone could elaborate on this job? I can’t really see how they would just “screw” into place?

As the pic you posted shows, you have coil end connection, ht lead, and spark plug cap connection.
Just do one ht lead at a time if you are not confident at keeping the respective coil connections with their respective spark plug positions, and/or number your leads before you start.

To replace HT leads, hold the ht cable tight (with fingers, hand, or pliers) and unwind the spark plug cap anti-clockwise to remove the ht lead from the spark plug cap. At the coil end unscrew the screwcap anticlockwise. When undone, remove lead from coil - there is a plastic lock washer behind the screwcap, don't lose it. Gently pull/twist the washer off the old ht lead, and the screwcap.

Using your old ht lead as a guide, measure it against your new ht lead. It doesn't have to be a millimetre perfect length match, approx is fine. When you cut the new ht lead, make sure your new ht lead is cut to size straight across its width - not wonky. A straight cut will assist with refitting and gives a good sound connection at both ends.

Put your screwcap, then the washer onto the new ht lead, and push them down the lead a bit. Then, at the coil end push your new ht lead into the coil until it hits home, it's about an inch I think, and then twist it clockwise until you feel it go tight. Push the lock washer up to the coil, then tighten the screwcap up. Job done at this end.

At the spark plug cap end, push in your new ht lead until it hots home, and then twist the spark plug cap clockwise until tight. Job done.

*Originally Posted by Crispy [+]
I could buy enough spark plug wire to cover cylinders 1 to 4 for about a tenner, saving me a huge amount of money.

Yep.  :028:
« Last Edit: 23 September, 2019, 08:03:07 PM by Shed »

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »
Thanks a lot Shed, that makes the beer taste nicer :030: Your help is greatly appreciated.

I’ll post some pictures of the job in hand when I’ve finished.

Cheers

:031:

diverse-leafy