Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Over heating 2010 CBF1000 GT  (Read 760 times)

Offline ToonCBF

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 GT
  • City / Town: Market Harboroug
Over heating 2010 CBF1000 GT
« on: 23 September, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »
So, got the CBF1000 and love it, however, after a month I took it in to London and within 5 minutes of being in traffic the temperature warning light came on, managed to get off the road and when I turned the engine off approx 50% of the coolant dumped on the road.

The dealer I got it from (Tinklers Yamaha) were superb, booked me in to Leicester Honda and they changed the Sensor and housing saying it was fixed and the fan kicked in every time.

Fast forward 6 weeks and the bike has been perfect, then, the first time driving in dense traffic (Friday evening in about 16 degree heat) the light came on and the coolant dumped out again!!!

When I pulled over there was no noise from the fan so assume that it hadn't kicked in.

It is going back to Leicester Honda for another look (Tinklers are paying), is there anything I could point the technicians to?

Just want to be able to use my bike properly, not worry about encountering traffic!!!!!

Thanks

Ferg
« Last Edit: 23 September, 2019, 03:25:30 PM by ToonCBF »
I have the body of an 18 year old...... I keep it in the freezer!!!! (Spike Milligan)

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: Over heating 2010 CBF1000 GT
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2019, 03:39:26 PM »
I can't help too much but my approach but be not too worry too much about what the cause is since that's what the technicians are there for, but wouldn't hurt to ask them once they've "fixed" it what work they performed to some detail so that you can describe what was done for next time it happens -- but hopefully not.

I'd put the foot down and re-illiterate how dangerous this is, and how fed up you are. If my CBF shat coolant all over the floor I'd soon develop the need to sell it on; once is bad enough but twice would have me twitching.

I had an old chinese bike that kept falling apart in various ways and I soon hated taking that out. The CBF is way beyond that but the premises is the same: don't accept the keys back until you've got the paperwork to prove its "fixed."

I'd say there's a risk you could easy come off with coolant spilled and your rear running over it -- what to say you move off from traffic, haven't noticed and run over/fall over on it?

If it happens again I'd be going down the "not fit for purpose" route and trying to return it. Make sure to take photo's/camera footage next time it occurs (if it does).

Offline ToonCBF

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
I took pictures and also when I pulled away once the bike had cooled down I was immediately at a roundabout, when exiting there was coolant on the rear tyre and I did have a "moment"

I have told them they have one more chance to fix it or I will be returning it and they can either source me another one or alternatively refund my money....

I am gutted as I love the bike, it is so good at so many things!!!!
I have the body of an 18 year old...... I keep it in the freezer!!!! (Spike Milligan)

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »
Chuck it back to the dealers as it'll be under warranty (if only for a short while longer).
I'd wager there has been some tinkering going on (not just theirs).
How many miles ?

If you knew the bike (long term) there is plenty to (methodically) check but TBH if you don't have to, don't.

Number one on the list would be, is the the fan kicking in (before the high-temp warning).

But yours may be a blocked rad/knack'd stat/water pump*/other bodge yet.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline ToonCBF

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2019, 04:09:38 PM »
So, the biffer goes back to local Honda dealer, fan works intermittently, has been traced back to a fractured wire in the loom to the fan. they have currently got it running with a temporary fix and will make it permanent once they have tested it for another 48 hours!

For good measure they have flushed the system out and put in a new thermostat.

Hope this solves it as I have just got some Hawk cans to go on it!!!!!

Thanks for the replies!!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »
Exactly the same symptoms as my wife’s 12 plate CBF600SA from new.

Took it back to the dealers as the fan was only working intermittently, but every time we took it back it worked perfectly.

Worst episode was when it dumped lots of coolant on the streets of Bordeaux!

It never broke down, but we needed to be careful in slow moving traffic.

We did everything in order checking the system, thermostat, changed the coolant etc. Eventually, having been told by every man and his dog that it couldn’t be the relay, I spent £11 and changed it myself.

Issue solved. The bike is now 7 years old and doesn’t miss a beat. Worth a try?  :028:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
Had this relay problem on 3 different Hondas! It always seems to be intermittent as well. Worth remembering that most of the other relays in the bike can be used as a get you home as they are all the same e.g. Hi/Lo headlamp relay can be used as a sub.Ed.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »
I’m a great believer in doing things logically, and was told the fan relay wouldn’t be the issue, and set about doing all the checks etc as per recommended.

Cost at least £200 to do those things, when all along I wish I’d have gone along with my own thoughts. £11 and 30 minutes work....all done. :028:

I tend to go in cost order now.  :015:

Offline ToonCBF

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2019, 04:54:35 PM »
Just picked it up, took it through the busiest traffic in town, didnt filter to make sure it got hot and not an issued at all!!

Fan kicked in, rode beautifully!!

So as a treat I have just put on my new cans, sounds amazing and looks infinitely better!! Now will the bleedin' rain subside so I can get out and give it a good welcome home ride!!!!

Thanks for all your responses, I am going to put a new relay in just for my own peace of mind!!!!

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »
Hi ,Toon .I am not quite sure who finally fixed the bike,you or the dealership? If you ,I suggest some recompense is appropriate from the dealer as this is a fairly well-known fault on similar Hondas.Ed. :015: