Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre Inflation Frequency  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 and T110
  • City / Town: In Hampshire
Re: Tyre Inflation Frequency
« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »
Beyond all the variables others have mentioned.

Doing approx 450 miles per week will see my pressures drop by around 0.05-0.1 bar per week.

Apart from a weeklyish check I also get a reminder comes when I roll off the mainstand, if the pressure is down then it just feels 'wrong'.

Personal opinion - never rely on a foot-pump gauge, it's only ever good for going above target pressure and you lose some air disconnecting it as well.
Go over then use a hand held digital to bring down to required pressure.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gizmo [+]
Doing approx 450 miles per week will see my pressures drop by around 0.05-0.1 bar per week.

My mileage changes weekly depending on the weather. Your bar pressure converted to psi comes in at 0.7 to 1.5psi a week.

The pressures on my bike seem to be dropping faster than yours, roughly 10psi rear and 5psi front, every 3 to 4 weeks. Think I’ll put it down to tyre quality - Michelin Road Pilot 2 - losing pressure by osmosis. I’m going to look at the code on the tyre wall to see what date the tyre was produced.

Thanks for the tip about using a foot pump and hand held digital gauge, I’ll give it a try next.

Cheers
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #12 on: 26 September, 2019, 02:08:15 PM »
No way can that be normal (unless you were doing mega-miles per week).
Either you have some (small) hole/s in the things, puncture repairs leaking, bad valves (the technical bit/seal or the whole rubber part in the space not sealing) or a terible fit on the rims (corroded rims?).

I saw someone years back showing the cords on a rear - he wasn't even loosing pressure then with no rubber left.

P.S. Or, the wrong sized tyres on the wheels ?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2019, 12:18:53 AM »
It is unlikely to be due to your Michelin tyres, unless damaged, as they are some of the best. More likely is any one of the issues already itemised, plus the fact that some alloy wheel rims are porous! I found my CBF1000 tyres lost pressure more rapidly than my BMW F800GT. But not at the rate yours have! There is something definitely wrong. My bet would be a poor tyre to rim seal. If you ever have a wheel off, it would be worth submerging it in water to see if there is any evidence of a leak.
Oh and I agree, NEVER rely on a tyre pump gauge, get yourself a 'proper' tyre gauge.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: 27 September, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
Oh and I agree, NEVER rely on a tyre pump gauge, get yourself a 'proper' tyre gauge.

:0461:
Last year a friend of mine topped up his tyres using garage forecourt tyre inflator (notoriously unreliable), and then spent the rest of the day saying the back end felt a bit 'flighty'. When he got home and stuck a decent gauge on the wheel it turns out instead of the indicated forecourt 42psi it was actually 59psi. Quite a difference.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
Hmmm... judging by the replies it could simply be the guage on my foot pump giving the wrong reading. I should’ve mentioned that I changed the valve when I did my wheel bearings as it was cracking around the base. Tyre guy checked the rims and said they were ok.

The code at the end of DOT number is 0817, meaning they’re only two years old.

My Honda manual says tyre sizes should be 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear, mine match exactly so it’s not the wrong tyre size.

General consensus seems to be they’re deflating too fast. I’ll experiment with a new guage and see what happens. It’s probably a slow puncture, so thinking about saving up for some Avon Storm 3D XM tyres; cheaper than Roadtec 01 and arguably just as good.

:129:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2019, 05:13:58 PM »
For my two penneth I kick my tyres every trip, if I get a decent ping its good to go. I'll properly check the tyres once a month for pressure, wear, defects etc. Can't recall how often I've needed to adjust the pressures but I'd guess its around every 3,000 miles or so. Tyre pressures being 35 psi front, 40 psi rear, its not what Honda recommend but thats what I have chalked on the workshop wall, if its +/- 2 psi off that they get adjusted.

If this is morphing into a tyre thread my tyres of choice are Bridgestone BT0-23's. That's what was on there when I got it and they've performed well in the wet, dry & twistys and I'm getting 10,000+ miles from a tyre. Just replaced the rear yesterday after a 1,000 mile sortie around South Wales, it still had 2 mm of tread on it after 10,500 miles.

Happy Days

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
« Reply #17 on: 01 October, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
Nice tip Art, just don’t think I’m experienced enough for the ‘ping’ test  :154:

Had a look at the Bridgestone tyres and they seem like a bargain for that kind of mileage, £185 for a pair.

I still fancy the Avon’s as they’re made in Blighty and are meant to be designed for British roads. Came across the Avon Trailrider that have off-road capability, could turn the Biffer into a hybrid sports tourer/adventure bike.

Thanks again.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #18 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:40:52 PM »
Favoured the Avon Roadriders on my Triumphs, not such good mileage but hey ho £ for £ they worked for me. Think I'll be sticking to the Bridgestone BT0-23's, they've served me well and most of my riding is done on tarmac, although I've been known to tackle the odd ford now and again.

diverse-leafy