Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre Inflation Frequency  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Tyre Inflation Frequency
« on: 23 September, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
Hi folks,

Iíve been checking my tyre pressures weekly to maintain optimum performance on my Biffer and noticed that after 3 to 4 weeks the rear tyre was down approximately 10psi and the front 5psi.

I know the CBF weighs 220kg dry and a drop in tyre pressure could be perfectly normal because of the weight of the machine. However, Iíd like to know from other Biffer owners how frequently they need to reinflate their tyres so I can work out if I have a slow puncture or not.

Cheers
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Tyre Inflation Frequency
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2019, 08:50:00 PM »
This isn't as straightforward as you may first think, as many factors will effect your pressures. Although I don't think your figures are particularly bad. Just average. Some tyres last months with no change, others weeks.

Tyre age, condition, where you store it, wheel rim bead condition, valve stem condition, ambient temperature, rough roads, potholes, weight on the tyre, the tyre pressure gauge you're using for the reading, the obvious tyre damage/puncture, and of course mother nature, or permeation.

Even with the inflated tyre stood doing nothing, as a rough guide you'll lose 1-3psi per month, this is because the air molecules inside the tyre travel through the tyre via osmosis - but even that rate will vary between manufactures and the ingredients used to make the tyre.

Incidentally, for those that fill tyres with Nitrogen instead of air, you may lose less pressure via osmosis as the Nitrogen molecules are bigger than Oxygen molecules, so may escape from the tyre at a slower rate. Certain quick fit garages try and sell you Nitrogen at a premium  :182:, but for me I'll stick with fresh air thanks.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:28:45 PM »
Food for thought there Shed. I use my foot pump to measure the air pressure. My Michelin Road Pilot 2ís should be alright till next year so long as I check the condition and pressures weekly.

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »
I check mine pretty regularly, perhaps every fourth or fifth fill-up, and always before I start out on an extended trip. Sometimes I have to top them up but not by much.

*Originally Posted by Shed [+]
Incidentally, for those that fill tyres with Nitrogen instead of air, you may lose less pressure via osmosis as the Nitrogen molecules are bigger than Oxygen molecules, so may escape from the tyre at a slower rate. Certain quick fit garages try and sell you Nitrogen at a premium  :182:, but for me I'll stick with fresh air thanks.
Like Shed here, I too stick with regular fresh air. Regular air is already about 80% nitrogen so paying extra to get that extra percentage doesn't seem, to me, to make a lot of sense.

Just IMHO.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:47:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Silverdart [+]
Regular air is already about 80% nitrogen so paying extra to get that extra percentage doesn't seem, to me, to make a lot of sense.

:0461: It makes no sense at all. Except for the garages charging you.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:53:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crispy [+]
I use my foot pump to measure the air pressure.

I've not had a foot pump for years, but I do have 7 tyre pressure gauges in my garage, and no two gauges give exactly the same reading on the the same tyre. As long as they are approx the same reading that'll do me!  :028:

Food for thought there Shed.

If you want more food for thought, or are having trouble sleeping, check out The Ideal Gas Law relating to tyre pressure and temperature change.  :800:

« Last Edit: 23 September, 2019, 09:56:05 PM by Shed »

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:04:10 PM »
after 3 to 4 weeks the rear tyre was down approximately 10psi and the front 5psi.
About the same. Nice that you put the question up, I was wondering also  :028:

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shed [+]
If you want more food for thought, or are having trouble sleeping, check out The Ideal Gas Law relating to tyre pressure and temperature change.  :800:

You know what, Iím going to read that. Readingís a great way to get your head down and learn something at the same time. Win win situation.

Anyway, Iím off for a quick pint.

Until next time.

:158:

Offline wpbrown

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A
  • City / Town: Portadown
« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
I'd say about once a month or perhaps less. Usually if I feel the handling not the best i check it. Always though if doing a 20+ mile journey.

Offline cbrog

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
Check mine at least once a week and ALWAYS before any ride , I have a 12v plug in charger £10 from The  Range shop cross reference with digital tyre gauge and it's accurate

diverse-leafy