Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front end squeak  (Read 776 times)

Offline Milord

• Bike: MK1 2009 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Buckinghamshire
Front end squeak
« on: 13 September, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »
Can anybody tell me where this squeak might be coming from, or has anyone had it before?

Admittedly Its been happening since I got the bike but subconsciously tuned it out of my brain, thinking it was just the fairings...until a mate asked me what that God awful squeak was when I sat it up on the centerstand.

Please, before you crank your speakers up to hear the squeak please be aware of the noisy kids next door  :157:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pn81fxrekkd703/Untitled%20-%20Sequence%2001.mp4?dl=0

Sounds like it's coming from the forks or lower clamp. In the last scene I lifted the front wheel off the ground and tugged the forks but the head bearings and clamp nut are all within spec so that can be ruled out.

When riding the only time I can hear it is if I ride over catseyes or small potholes; basically when the forks are compressed as demonstrated in the video.

Thanks.

Offline Milord

Re: Front end squeak
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2019, 11:11:43 AM »
Ok I've managed to find where the sound was coming from!

Left hand side crash protector! I've squirted some wd40 in there and its stopped, but should these protectors move like this when shaken about? https://www.dropbox.com/s/ur0a8cn5gtnm5pz/20190921_110557.mp4?dl=0

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2019, 08:12:05 PM »
Looking at your video i think your bung mounting has been bodged.
there should be a solid spacer between the engine and the mounting
bracket and the bolt  passes through the spacer and threads into the engine mounting.
The way it is moving in your video makes me wonder if there
are any threads in your engine casing plus that bolt looks the wrong thread
not sure if it is the right size.
Malc

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:07:01 PM »
Yeah, looks to me like the engine is moving. It should be solidly mounted with no movement. Needs looking at and sorting out properly ASAP, before it causes you more issues.

Offline Milord

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2019, 12:03:40 AM »
Yeah the bung in question has some scuffs so it might have taken a fall and then been bodged back together. Does anyone have a reference picture to what the setup should look like?
In addition, where might the engine mounting points be located?

Thanks

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
That crash bung bolt is the front left engine mount and, as above, looks to be a failed repair.

For engine mounting points see section 8 of the workshop manual here https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-8%20ENGINE%20REMOVAL-INSTALLATION.pdf

Reference picture
« Last Edit: 22 September, 2019, 10:23:07 AM by Art »

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »
You could have a look at the right hand
engine mounting to see what the left should look like
as they are the same. Unless that has been damaged as well
Malc

Offline Milord

« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
So!...

I took apart the crash protector, and as suspected there was an old bolt snapped off in there. Not only that but whoever tried to fix it had tried to drill the bolt out and snapped off the drill bit in there too. The bit broke off-center and was making drilling out harder as it was walking off to the left, away from the engine. Took to the mechanics who went at it with a cobalt tip and eventually got it out, re-tapped the hole and fabricated a new spacer for the bolt all for the low cost of 35 quid and a cake  :028:
No more squeak and its solid as a rock.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jlzz1nj2yvs230/20190925_081504.jpg?dl=0

So in summary, what it looks like the previous owner has done (and if he was a former member on this forum I shake my fist at you!) has dropped the bike and snapped the bolt off in the engine, tried to drill it out and snapped...and then just called it a day and put a new bolt in to cover up his blunder.

Hardly a relatable topic but if anyone gets a squeak when they rock the bike on its stand, have a look at the engine mounting bolts!

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »
Happy days and a good price to boot!

Some folk just shouldn't be allowed anywhere near tools. Those front engine mount bolts are known for shearing, just check the engines the scrappers put up on eBay. Most have the front engine bolt sheared off where some grease monkey has gone at it with an impact driver. The trick in getting them out in one piece is to soak for 24 hours in a penetrating fluid, apply heat and unscrew slowly using nothing more than a standard tee bar set up. Half a turn out then turn it back in to start off then, keeping it warm and lubed with plenty of penetrating fluid, repeat the in/out turns until threads become free.

Offline Milord

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice! Contemplating maybe fitting some crash bars as an impact should spread the load and not focus it in one area like the crash bungs... but then that means getting rid of my lowers, or are some crash bars fairing-friendly?