Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Carrying Capacity  (Read 364 times)

Offline dboisclair001

• Bike: 2009DL650
  • City / Town: Summerland
Carrying Capacity
« on: 08 September, 2019, 02:59:48 PM »
New member here.
I currently ride a 2009 DL650 VStrom with a replacement heavy-duty rear spring, reworked shock and progressive front springs. I'm 220lbs and my wife is 180lbs. With all the farkles and luggage on my 650 we're at least 100lbs over GVW, but with the suspension work I've done we have no problems except we're sometimes under powered and the DL is really top heavy.

I have my eye on a 2009 CBF1000 as a replacement. I never leave the pavement and I'd like to try something more road oriented but the big sport-touring bikes are heavier than I'd like.
1. Is the CBF1000 a good option for two-up touring and will it carry a combined weight of 500lbs?
2. If the answer is yes, does it need suspension mods to accomplish this?
3. To keep the weight down low I'm considering a small, single-wheel trailer. Would the CBF be a good choice for this option?
https://www.kelownahonda.com/inventory/2009-honda-cbf1000a9-kelowna-bc-v1x-8c8-10104640i
https://trailtail.com/
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thx
« Last Edit: 08 September, 2019, 03:24:11 PM by dboisclair001 »

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
Re: Carrying Capacity
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2019, 05:06:58 PM »
I think that's pretty much an average male plus an average female, weight-wise really. The CBF1000 should be able to cope with that no problem. As with many bikes, but especially the CBF, the front end can go light if there's too much weight on the rear (a heavily packed top box is not good). It won't be quite as comfortable as a bigger bike like a ST1300 or equivalent but there's advantages that neutralise that. As for power, of course a pillion plus luggage will have an effect on handling and performance, but you'll find the CBF will zip along quite nicely loaded up. Many on here over the years have toured Europe on theirs very successfully.

I can't comment on trailers. Don't know of anyone that's tried that.

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
according to my owners handbook for a mk2 the recommended maximum weight
capacity is 195 kg (430 lb) this is rider ,passenger, cargo, and all
accessories. I think it was the same for my mk1
 You may need to uprate the suspension .
Malc

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
The recommended weights are likely Honda's safe recommendations given the suspension design... not to say you can't get away with more with the rear preload dialed up... however you're better off with a stronger spring and less preload, and some better suspenders (springs) up front as well.  Loading the back end down changes steering geometry, but if it can be held up, it will be less of an effect.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2019, 03:40:56 AM »
A timely reminder to put my kit on the scales. I've never checked the weight of my touring kit, just keep the top box light and bungee the rest on the pillion seat for maximum stability. My main concern is weight distribution, has been ever since a tank slapper put me and the Norton into a ditch. The design is to carry a pillion so I'm convinced this is the best place for the luggage.

As for the pillion they'll need to get their own ride, twice the mo'cycles, twice the fun.

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »
I should add that when loaded, I put the heavy stuff in the tank bag, and lighter stuff in the top box. I have the rear suspension on maximum load, with no effects, other than it has bottomed out a couple of times on crap roads. Even then it wasn't a heart stopping moment.