Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone ever "Macgyvered" the seat on a MK. I to make it sit flatter?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Re: Has anyone ever "Macgyvered" the seat on a MK. I to make it sit flatter?
« Reply #20 on: 18 September, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
This weekend I am about to see Terry Adcox Seats, so I had another look as well.  My aftermarket seat compared to the stocker may in fact be tilted back (by shape of foam) a slight amount. It also may have been built up a touch in the front slope. 
In looking at the stocker, if you did the same flattening of the rear (especially the rear edge) I can see it would help.  But the stocker's foam is rather firm, and could do with a layer of say 1/2-1" softer foam over it, which would increase the comfort level yet still allow you to pull the original cover back over it.  I don't think you have anything to lose by tilting the seat back say (by way of trial) just putting the front tongue on top of the bracket tube.
Gotta admit that Shad seat looks mighty tempting, if only I had one in my hands for a few minutes....

Offline Cowtown Biffer Bomber

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000/A
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #21 on: 18 September, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
Hi:
Good call on simply putting the front tongue on top of the bracket tube, and thanks for the English lesson! If I am able to bung the two back seat bolts in with it sitting like that, a ride will determine once and for all if my "seat flattening" idea has any merit.
WKR,
H.
"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #22 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:10:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by raYzerman [+]
This weekend I am about to see Terry Adcox Seats, so I had another look as well.  My aftermarket seat compared to the stocker may in fact be tilted back (by shape of foam) a slight amount. It also may have been built up a touch in the front slope. 
In looking at the stocker, if you did the same flattening of the rear (especially the rear edge) I can see it would help.  But the stocker's foam is rather firm, and could do with a layer of say 1/2-1" softer foam over it, which would increase the comfort level yet still allow you to pull the original cover back over it.  I don't think you have anything to lose by tilting the seat back say (by way of trial) just putting the front tongue on top of the bracket tube.

I have a Shad seat for my Mk2. Although it’s not perfect l find it more comfortable than the stock seat. It is flatter and l think it spreads your backside more evenly. I can sit for longer on the Shad than the stocker. It’s a compromise but not perfect.
Hope you get sorted
Gotta admit that Shad seat looks mighty tempting, if only I had one in my hands for a few minutes....

diverse-leafy