Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone ever "Macgyvered" the seat on a MK. I to make it sit flatter?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Cowtown Biffer Bomber

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000/A
  • City / Town: Calgary
Re: Has anyone ever "Macgyvered" the seat on a MK. I to make it sit flatter?
« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »
Hi:
With my wife being from Chatham, ON, I cheer for the Oil, then the Wings, then for any team but the Leafs. There's no love lost with Calgary and Vancouver, mind you.
Can you believe Calgary picked up Lucic?!? I feel like I've just won the lottery!
H.
"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline alfau

• Bike: Cbf 1000A 2008
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2019, 12:35:27 AM »
G'Day.

I bent the front seat mount down as far as possible to level the saddle, nothing else is needed.
No more sliding forward to crush the family jewels. the seat is still hard though
As a side point. I replaced the soft oem rear shock with a HONDA VFR 1200...2015  shock.
This raised the ride level 1" approx. I extended the side stand but you can buy a lowering kit to get around new height. 
You have to rotate the bottom mount 180 degrees, adjust the top damper hose .
It was $120 au, about 60 pounds . at the wreckers.
you do need arms like an orangutan. I also replaced front fork oil with 15 weight.
all this transformed the bike. I am 6'5" 120 kg.
hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 30 August, 2019, 12:49:51 AM by alfau »

• CBF Member
« Reply #12 on: 04 September, 2019, 05:15:44 PM »
Hi:
Thanks! I'm going to try bending the front seat mount. That's a great simple fix!
I'm only 75 kg, so it's fine height wise with the seat at its highest position, and the stock rear shock.
I'm going to use 15 weight oil in the front when it's time to replace it.
With kind regards,
Herb
"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline Shaky

• Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: RICHMOND HILL
« Reply #13 on: 10 September, 2019, 09:35:03 PM »
Hi Herb...

I actually had the same complaint as you on my Mk 1 in addition to the seat becoming a "pain in the ass" after anything longer than an hour. I'd get soreness around the sitz? bones which is a common issue with all stock seats.

What I did was remove the seat cover (all that's required is a small flat-head screwdriver to pry up the staples) and then I proceeded to cut the foam staring across just behind where where I would sit. I then carefully sliced the foam away almost down to the seat pan. I bought a foam exercise mat at Winners for $15 (the thick spongy black type..approx 1-1.5" thick...not a thin yoga mat) I simple cut pieces of the mat that would follow the original side curve of the seat (this way the original cover will fit back in place) and just kept tinkering with layers of foam, position, etc. until I had the slope exactly the way I wanted it. I believe in the end it took 2 layers of the mat material with a smaller section under the forward part of the seat that effectively raised the front slightly. Once I had it sloped the way I liked it I put the cover back (duct-taped temporarily) and went for a ride...don't skip the test ride... a good 30 minutes would be my advice... since I ended up needing to add a thin layer of softer foam on top of the mat material (personal preference). The end result... no more bunching of jeans and because im not constantly angled forward, my ass doesn't get sore at all.

I'd estimate that the whole job took about 3 hours (mostly just fiddling with the layering to get the slope perfect. Total cost was $20 ... not including staples. The seat now has more of a "dished" shape and feels way more supportive and helps me feel like I'm sitting in the seat and not on top of it if that makes sense...

LMK if you have any questions .... and BTW... although I live in the GTA i'm Habs fan ... not sure if that's better or worse !

Good luck,

E

• CBF Member
« Reply #14 on: 10 September, 2019, 09:41:49 PM »
Hi:
Thanks for the detailed explanation on how to fix it. It's good to hear I'm not the only one getting the bunched jeans syndrome. I'm going to have a look underneath the seat, and see whether I'm up to the task.
WKR,
Herb
P.S. You're in a different universe (AKA the good universe), as a Habs fan in TO, although it must be a lonely road, which I know only too well, being an Oil fan in Calgary.
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #15 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:46:06 PM »
So it looks like I am cheering for 4 teams now, Wings, Habs, Oilers and anybody playing the Leafs!  Love the Habs, especially when they play blue.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
« Reply #16 on: 12 September, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
My MkI came with a seat from http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/page8.html, and it has a small hump contour across it. It isn't the best on longer days, and from previous experience, I knew I had to flatten the seat.  Basically, it was fairly straightforward, remove the cover and peel it forward, flatten the contour with an angle grinder, including the rear edge, and blend it in.  A couple of photos... showing my rough-in and final shape.  This seat has a couple of thin layers of quite soft foam over a large gel pad... not a gel pad fan, but I flattened it as best I could.  Then I blended and covered it with a very thin layer of packaging foam, then recovered it.
After a weekend of riding every day, I can say a definite improvement, however it needs improving still.  I obtained a stock seat set and will have a custom seat made, slightly wider with support at the edges, slight dish... I am using Terry Adcox and on my way to another biking adventure will stop in for specifics.  His web pics are similar to  what I'd like, just not as "fat" as he has shown there.  Perhaps more in between his and a Seth Laam.
https://www.terryscustomseats.com/

I essentially was prepared to build my own from the stock seat, but for not a lot more money, I would rather a professional do it.  The bad news is the seat builders are busy, I can't have mine until March 2020.  My modified one will do until then.  There isn't a lot you can do with the stock seat except reduce the rear edge, maybe dish it a bit, but it needs some more padding and would benefit with more support at the sides.

« Last Edit: 12 September, 2019, 05:16:59 PM by raYzerman »

• CBF Member
« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »
Hi:
I had a look last night. "Alfau" suggested bending the front seat mount "down" to level the seat. If he's talking about the round dowel of steel at the front of the adjustable cage that the tongue under the seat itself rests in, I'd think bending it up as far as it would go flattens the seat more, as I want to get the front of the seat higher, to get rid of the back to front slope.
I bent it up, and noticed there is now quite a bit of play between the tongue on the seat and the steel piece it rests in. I epoxied a couple of pieces of 8 mm thick wood on the front rubber rectangular knobs under the seat, hoping to raise the front of the seat. Tonight will tell, when I try to put the seat back on.
WKR,
H.
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
I have ridden my friend's Biffer with a Russell seat that is tilted back, and quite frankly, I don't like it.  With the seat I have recently modified, along with some aftermarket handlebars (wider) installed with 1" risers and somewhat tilted back, one does sit a little bit more upright.  The seat's stock angle simply works great for me.  But all you can do is try it.

Here's what I want to know next.... does the CBF600 seat fit a MkI... my understanding is they are the same bike, one with a bigger engine..... IF so, this seat from Shad looks pretty much like what I would want.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shad-Seat-Honda-CBF-600-N-2008/302487003962?epid=1970187462&hash=item466da1633a:g:CX8AAOSwtBdagrba

• CBF Member
« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »
Hi:
Well that sucks you didn't like the seat tilted back! Tonight will tell, although the lawn could use a haircut. And thank you for the photos of your backyard (literally?) upholstering job. I noticed the beefy staples last night, and you're right, it doesn't look like rocket science. I'd say finding the right shape is more of an art than a science.
WKR,
H.
-  Henry David Thoreau

diverse-leafy