Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone ever "Macgyvered" the seat on a MK. I to make it sit flatter?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Cowtown Biffer Bomber

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000/A
  • City / Town: Calgary
Hi:

I'm still dialing in my 2009 CBF1000, having raised the bars, completely removed the windshield (way better), and raised the seat to its highest point due to my 6' 1" height. I love it, although I still get a sore crotch on longer rides, I think due to the seat being angled forward. When my wife is on the back, no sore crotch, as her weight makes the seat flatter.
Has anyone ever tried to make the seat sit flatter, and if so, how? I tried setting the pre-load on the rear shock to its firmest, which helped a little, but made the ride too stiff one up.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
With kind regards,
Herb Kruschke
"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
I never tried to make any adjustments other than some basic settings (raising the seat, etc.) even though I found the Biffer seat (also a 2009) somewhat uncomfortable on longer rides.

I ended up buying an Airhawk Cruiser medium cushion and that's made all the difference.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

• CBF Member
Hi:
Thanks for the link to the seat cushion. That certainly couldn't hurt. I'd still like to hear from anyone that's done some "Macgyvering" to flatten the seat out, if anyone has. I've always suffered from "bunching jeans syndrome" on street bikes with canted (?) seats.
WKR,
H.
"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Not too sure of what you mean about the seat being “flatter”? The only solution would be to remove the seat cover and reshape the foam with a scraper and then refit the seat cover when you’ve found the perfect shape. It isn’t really advisable as you’d only get one chance and it’s highly unlikely to achieve an even shape using just your hands and eyesight.

I’m looking to fit a new customised seat cover along with a gel pad inserted into the foam for a more comfortable seat. Seat covers are available on eBay along with gel pads.

The video below shows you how to do it. It’s from Top Sellerie in France. They do nice seat covers and also complete pre-made seats, but they’re pricey.

A day without learning is a day wasted

• CBF Member
Hi:
I was referring to how (to me at least) the seat curves upward from its lowest point to the back of it, which causes my tuchus to always want to slide forward, creating the "bunching jeans syndrome". If a person was somehow able to leave the front setting of the "adjustable seat bucket" at its highest position and the rear setting at a lower position, it would bring down the rear of the seat, thereby flattening it out. I could just be on crack, mind you.
Thanks for the seat shaving suggestion, which I've heard done. I'm not sure I'm up to adding upholstering to my repertoire.
WKR,
H.
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
I’m 5’10” but have short legs. My seat is on the lowest setting and I can just about put my feet flat on the floor. I haven’t bothered adjusting the seat height because it was on the lowest setting when I bought it. When I had a look at the seat adjuster it looks like it sweeps up, maybe bringing the rear of the seat higher than the front. I’d lower the seat position a notch or two  and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 28 August, 2019, 09:45:26 PM by Crispy »
A day without learning is a day wasted

• CBF Member
Thanks. I was going to try to lower the seat a notch (then two) as a next step regardless, and will do so for sure considering your observation of how the seat adjuster works.
It's a LONG way from here to California, which is where we want to return to (last time was on my beloved '84 KZ750) once you know who is sent out to pasture, so I want to make my baby as comfortable as I can.
WKR,
H.
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Coincidentally,  I've been working on the same issue.  My Biffer came with an aftermarket seat (made in UK), nice seat but it has that little hump in the middle.  I was able to find a stock seat set, intending to modify it.  It has less of a hump, but both these seats need work.  I do have a Russell on my FJR which is comfortable all day long, so with that in mind, I'm working on a solution.  The Russell is shaped more like one of those old cast iron tractor seats so you have support around the perimeter, spreading the load over a larger area.
First I removed the cover on the aftermarket seat and reshaped it flatter, found it has a gel pad underneath (avoid those IMO).  There wasn't a lot of foam over it to work with, but I did manage to flatten it some using an angle grinder, then I put a very thin 1/8" layer of plastic type foam over it, reinstalled the cover.  Better, not ideal.. but it needs testing over longer days.
The stock seat will need more than that, cutting out some foam along the rear sides, gluing in some thicker foam to build "wings", reshape and a brand new cover tailored to the new shape.
 I do have a medium Airhawk, which is an OK solution, and it basically shapes itself to your butt on the top side and conforms to the existing contour of the seat.  A reshaping of sorts, definitely better.  It will help you understand more of what you want as a permanent solution.
However, it's a lot of work to rebuild and recover, I do have a local upholstery shop that will make me a new cover to fit my final shaping, I bought some foam..... so after looking at the possibilities, I've changed my mind, for the slightly more expense, I will leave all that to the professionals......
Terry Adcox in Tennessee will make a similarly shaped seat to the Russell, and is reasonably priced.  I had him make one for my  V-Strom, and it turned out well.  You have to send him your stock seat pan, he will strip it and do all new foam work and cover it.  That's where I'm going with the stock seat...... keep in mind the seat folks are always busy, so it's a good idea to get on his calendar..... good winter project.... I'll keep you posted.
While you may want the rear lower, seems to me the natural riding position for this bike is to be slightly leaned forward, that part of the design isn't too bad, one just needs a better pocket to sit in.  Handlebar risers help as does a good windshield.  All these together determine comfort and your final riding position.
The photos on Terry's site are larger seats, but you get the concept of the more desired shape.
https://www.terryscustomseats.com/

• CBF Member
Hi:
Thanks for letting me know your journey toward bum bliss [sic]. I agree that the riding position with things set up stock is leaning forward a bit, but after putting on bar risers (25 mm up and 20 mm back) I find sitting with a pretty erect posture seems natural. And yes, true to a previous post, the bracket that holds the front brake line to the shock needed Macgyvering. I love this website!
I switched bikes with my friend on our ride last Sunday ('99 ST 1100), and that thing is set up for an erect posture, with a dead flat seat. I found it really comfy, although I much prefer the snappy power band of my inline to his V. He's owned all kinds of bikes, and said mine is like a 750 with power. I think with my bar risers a dead flat seat would be the way to go. I like the look of the seat pictured in the link you gave. Nice and flat, and the wings would probably work nice.
WKR,
Herb

P.S. As a long-suffering Oilers fan, I think Ken Holland has some magic left, regardless of the media suggesting otherwise. Thoughts? Should he have just ridden off into the sunset?

P.P.S. GO OIL!!!
-  Henry David Thoreau

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
I fired off an email to Terry and we'll work on it when he has time...... A local friend got a Russell for her Biffer after wasting a lot of money chasing solutions.  The Russell is definitely flat, but IMHO, too low at the back, also ended up with not enough padding.  Russells are normally almost perfect, but not that one.  I would add foam to it and somehow get the rear end up a bit more.  Again, I think Adcox is the way to go this time, will keep you posted.
You could take an angle grinder and reshape the stocker a bit, i.e., flatten any side to side contour and maybe that ridge that's near the back edge, just staple your cover back on.  I find the stocker a little hard, if need be after reshaping you could add 1" of lower density foam from your local upholstery shop, trim/contour it a little bit, it will conform to the reshaping you did.  Basically, new shape and taller, hopefully the original cover still fits.  If not, try a 1/2" foam.  Cheap and easy, really.

Holland is one who thinks about it, consults with his management team, moves in a direction with the longer term in mind.  No panics, doesn't bow to pressures.... but he had good scouts, especially in Europe, not sure what the Oilers have.  He'll do well for the team, just don't expect miracles right away.  He moved over to make room for StevieY, something I think was always in the works.  I wish Kenny the best and hope the Oilers become a force, the fan base there is right into it and very loyal.  My old saying... I cheer for two teams, the Wings, your team and anybody playing the Leafs!
« Last Edit: 29 August, 2019, 04:36:23 PM by raYzerman »