Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve Shim inquiry  (Read 295 times)

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Valve Shim inquiry
« on: 26 August, 2019, 07:48:44 PM »
I am doing some forward planning for checking and swapping out valve shims.  I would like to purchase a range of shims I might need, I buy individual ones very reasonably.  I have a collection for my FJR which takes 9.48 diameter.  Seeking info from the knowledgeable collective..... are the shims typical Honda 7.48 OD or 9.48?  For those that have changed or measured shims, what is the approximate range in thickness either etched on the shim or measured?
Thanks in advance.

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
Re: Valve Shim inquiry
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2019, 04:11:15 PM »
Apologies for sort of highjacking your valve shim thread, but I thought others might be interested to know the results of my recent valve clearance check on my Mk1 with 25000 miles on the clock. The inlet (I) tolerance is from 13-19, and exhaust (E) is 29-35 (hundredths of a millimeter). Results were;-
I1L=19; I1R=18; I2L= 17; I2R=17; I3L=18; I3R=17; I4L=18; I4R=17;
E1L=35; E1R=35; E2L=35; E2R=33; E3L=34; E3R=34; E4L=31; E4R=31
Clearly none needed to be adjusted, but the two tightest gaps on cylinder #4 will probably need re-shimming at the next (50000mile) interval.
This confirms to me what most on this forum have said, namely that leaving valve clearance checks to 25-30000 miles is okay. Hope this gives confidence to others who had doubts like myself. Happy days.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »
Very good.  Always glad to hear what others have found.  My other bike experiences with bucket and shim (I've done a bunch of FJR valve checks too), the valve clearances get smaller as the valve head seats a teeny bit deeper, takes a very long time.  Even at minimum clearance, you still have plenty of clearance not to worry much, the danger zone is say 0.001" clearance or zero clearance.  But the bike performs better with the specified range.
One thing I do now, on that first valve check, I just adjust all the clearances to ~70% of max and so they are all the same (or as near as possible depending on shim selection).  Next check may never be needed, and the bike runs better, i.e., all cylinders balanced... I also do a TB sync, and I know the CBF has an "auto balance" system of sorts, but I will attempt a sync anyway as a good baseline.  I am hoping to minimize some of the buzzing that starts anywhere after 3500 rpm.  Worth a shot to me.  My FJR never ran better, so I'm OK getting all anal about it.  Hope the same idea works on the Biffer!
If no one knows the shim diameter and thickness ranges, I'll just postpone the check until winter when the bike can have downtime, I'll then get the shims I need and Bob's your uncle!
« Last Edit: 27 August, 2019, 05:00:55 PM by raYzerman »

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2019, 08:05:08 PM »
Thank you, Shed.  I know where I can borrow a Honda shim kit... 7.48 dia.
As for that ground connection, yes I use carbon based contact paste instead of dielectric for that kind of thing.
All looks pretty straightforward to me, but I'm no stranger to valve checks and shim changes.
thanks again!!

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
Good luck with it, let us know how you get on when the time comes  :028:

diverse-leafy