Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Haynes Manuals  (Read 719 times)

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
Haynes Manuals
« on: 17 August, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
Just a quick heads up,went into our local Halfords this morning to pick up some wet and dry and noticed all of their Haynes motorcycle manuals are on sale at £5 each as they are stopping selling them.Bought a Biffer one to leave in my luggage,stupid not to at that price.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Haynes Manuals
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2019, 11:44:48 AM »
Grab a bargain before they all end up on eBay for a tenner

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »
May be store specific.

Got the chance to visit two different stores today and stock prices varied: one had a couple of manuals for £5 and the other had a handful (but with no stock for some).

At best Halfords only ever really stock one of any given manual until it sells -- from what I can gather -- but as Art says might be worth getting a few and selling them on if that's your thing.

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:22:06 PM »
Market Harborough store has about 15 different bike Haynes Manuals all a fiver,they are finishing selling them so I suppose it's down to what individual store has left in stock.

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
Haynes factory at Sparkford has closed down. The museum is still open and worth a visit if you’re in the area

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
So in effect, does this mean Haynes manuals are not being produced any more? That'd be a shame.

I know that some people don't rate them. But although they are no substitute for a factory workshop manual, they are very handy and a good reference guide to how to remove something, where to find something and what specifications the vehicle has (plug gaps and torque settings etc). I suppose that it's the throw away society. Things don't get repaired now. In garages, you don't get mechanics, just technicians who plug in a diagnostic tool, read the codes and replace the offending part.

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by pedro [+]
So in effect, does this mean Haynes manuals are not being produced any more? That'd be a shame.

I know that some people don't rate them. But although they are no substitute for a factory workshop manual, they are very handy and a good reference guide to how to remove something, where to find something and what specifications the vehicle has (plug gaps and torque settings etc). I suppose that it's the throw away society. Things don't get repaired now. In garages, you don't get mechanics, just technicians who plug in a diagnostic tool, read the codes and replace the offending part.

I can’t be sure about that but l pass the factory quite frequently and its been closed for a while now. In the dark recesses of my brain something is telling me that Mr Haynes passed away and there was nobody to take over. I may have made that bit up and someone with more information will be along to correct me.
« Last Edit: 20 August, 2019, 03:23:16 PM by moayling »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2019, 06:27:44 PM »
May have something to do with Haynes also producing electronic copies of their manuals. Less demand for the paper editions?

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2019, 06:50:04 PM »
I would think that may well be the case Art,but when I broke down the other week I was in the back end of nowhere,no internet signal and just enough phone signal to ring the AA on the 3rd attempt.Paper book is always a good back up,and you can always set fire to it if its cold lol.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »
I'm not sure how these electronic manuals work my assumption is you can download them to your laptop and/or mobile phone etc. Maybe that's not possible with the Haynes otherwise we'd all be sharing it like the Honda workshop manuals we download which I carry a copy of on my phone. Hopefully its never needed whether I get cold or... lets not go there.

diverse-leafy