Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike will not run properly on 4 cvylinders  (Read 484 times)

Offline stevenshunter2

• Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: wigan
Bike will not run properly on 4 cvylinders
« on: 16 August, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »
Hi All,

Well I am considering coming to the end of my relationship with my CBF1000 it has never run properly since I got it , it is a 2009 29,000 miles and it will just not run correctly  first  there was a problem with the stator and regulator rectifier replaced them bike ran ok for about 25 miles then it started cutting out and going onto 3 cylinders took the tank off cleaned it out put some injector cleaner in a full tank of fuel  still no joy took the fuel out cleaned it out it all back together then bike would not start changed the plugs as they were black like it was running to rich bike still would not fire up cleaned old plugs up put them back in bike only fires up on 2 cylinders 1 and 2 , 4 and 3 will not fire there is fuel getting to the bike  , so if someone can help me with something that I haven't tried that would be great otherwise it will get sold . Thanks

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Bike will not run properly on 4 cvylinders
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2019, 06:44:55 PM »
You need to get a Haynes manual and read how to do a ignition system check. You need a spare spark plug to test the ignition coils to make sure thereís a spark for each plug, cylinders one to four. If thereís a good spark, the ignition system should be good. If not, itís probably just a sensor.

Does no FI (fuel injection) flash up on your dash? You never know if the bulb has gone. A decent mechanic could look up any fault codes stored in the ECM through the data link connector. If not you can buy a Honda SCS service connector for 15 quid on eBay (part number 070PZZY30100) to check and erase any diagnosis trouble codes yourself.

Best invest in a manual and read carefully before you attempt any of this.
« Last Edit: 16 August, 2019, 06:53:05 PM by Crispy »
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »
You need a structured approach but where to start? If I have this correct the engine starts and runs from cold and then cuts out or runs rough after around 20 miles, once it cuts out it is difficult to re-start or will not re-start. First thing to check would be that the fuel tank is venting and the fuel tank breather hose is not obstructed. Either blow it through or next time the engine cuts out remove the fuel cap and listen to hear if the tank vents.

If alls well with the fuel tank breather hose and the tank is venting as it should then move on to the ignition system which can get involved so you'll need a manual and you'll need to follow a methodic approach testing the various parts of the ignition system. Do not assume because you have checked and seen sparks at the spark plugs that all is well. The spark plugs or, the HT leads or, the ignition coils could be breaking down under load. Each individual component of the ignition system has to be tested and proven to be serviceable.

Offline Ben1957

• Bike: HondaCBF1000ABS
  • City / Town: Lansingerland
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2019, 05:37:28 PM »
Hello i also have 2009 cbf1000 with 17000 km on it
when i buy it the enging did not turn oke on 2000rpm
 change the bougys new NGK the best ther are en the enging
works now very good
maybe you have someting of my experian.

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
From memory (and it is a long LONG time since I ddi much work on my bike) the CBF has 2 ignition coils, each one responsible for 2 cylinders. It could be one of them that has failed/failing. Another common problem, as already alluded to by Art is the HT leads. A ham fisted approach to changing the spark plugs (especially on #3 cylinder) can break them as you yank it against the frame.

The CBF uses a wasted spark ignition though, so depending on which coil does which cylinder and which cylinder is down, you might be able to swap the leads on each coil and if the misfire moves with the lead then you know it's a lead at fault.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
One coil powers cylinders 1 & 4, the other cylinders 2 & 3.

*Originally Posted by stevenshunter2 [+]
....bike only fires up on 2 cylinders 1 and 2 , 4 and 3 will not fire there is fuel getting to the bike  , so if someone can help me with something that I haven't tried that would be great otherwise it will get sold . Thanks

Which suggests the coils are fine, everything else needs testing.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2019, 01:32:24 AM »
Wasted spark ignition or not, the spark (so long as itís a good spark) is, to my mind, the final phase of the ignition system. The ignition test, confirming thereís a spark on the plug, cylinders one to four, should prove that the ignition system is working. After the spark itís up to the injectors, pistons and cams to do the job, and then the process is repeated hundreds of thousands of times a minute.

Given the history of your bike with changing the stator and regulator, that are notorious for electrical surges, itís probably a simple electrical fault.

Good bit of advice about swapping the HT leads, such is the joys of being a mechanic.

:046:

PS: If youíve been messing around with your fuel tank, Iíd make sure thereís no fuel leaks before you start setting off sparks around that area.

Ta
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »
HT lead resistance Ohms varies between makes & manufacturers, so if you have the exact specs great, but for a rough guide 5000 - 8000 Ohms resistance per foot length of HT lead. As mentioned by others, things may be fine until the HT leads heat up, expand, and then start acting up as the connection inside becomes 'broken', also the lead outer shell/insulation may visually look ok, but given time, wear and tear, and the thousands of times heating up and cooling down, things begin to break down.

You can do a quick test on your HT leads with a multimeter. Take the lead off the coil and spark plug (do one lead at a time if you're not confident at putting them back in the correct place!)
There is also the water mist test, and looking for sparks/arcing in the dark, amongst other methods of test.

Set your multimeter to 20 thousand Ohms, and put the meter leads into either end of the HT lead, you should have constant continuity, most likely with a reading somewhere around 5K - 8K. Lead values will vary as they are all different lengths, but what we are looking for here is the oddball. Gently move, bend, and twist the HT lead around (don't bend it in half though, not that much!) whilst still holding the meter leads onto either end of the HT lead. If there is a break somewhere in the lead you'll lose continuity and the reading.

All the leads should be in the same approximate value of resistance, i.e. all around 5K, all around 7K, or whatever. An example on a bike I've just done, three leads were around 5K Ohms, but lead on number 2 cylinder was 12K - clearly way out of spec - but the bike still ran, though roughly occasionally.
Changed this dodgy lead for a new one, and problem solved.

HT cable is very cheap, so if in doubt about testing it, just buy some new. You can get 2 metres of 7mm cable for less than £10.00 and just cut to length yourself and renew the whole lot.  :028:

« Last Edit: 20 August, 2019, 10:12:38 AM by Shed »