Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Evening, all ...  (Read 229 times)

Offline MrW

• Bike: CBF1000A-T
  • City / Town: Godalming
Evening, all ...
« on: 15 August, 2019, 11:54:52 PM »
 :046: I bought a CBF1000 just two days ago, part exchanging a CB500X for it, which I rode to Russia and back on, returning about a month ago. I decided now was the time to get my first bike over 500ccs. I rode a variety of bikes in the early 80s, including two CX500s before getting boring and buying a car - financial bribery by the parents, I'm afraid. I hatched a plan to ride with my friend Steve, who has an NC750, out to Russia with him - he lives there - so I bought my first bike in almost 40 years last October, successfully returning from Russia in one piece - see blog <http://russiabymotorycle.wordpress.com > So now it's time to upgrade to a bigger bike and I reckon this is a good place to begin.

I'm well impressed by the noise of the engine compared to the 500, which gave off a tinny rattle. The seat height is lower which really helps and I'm finding it more comfortable. One or two early niggles: the screen could be higher - I expect it's possible to get a taller one; and I was really hoping there might be a gear indicator but there isn't - can one be fitted, I wonder? I also need to fit a socket for a satnav - I expect that's relatively easy too, but I wouldn't have a clue. There is one addition to the standard spec and that's Oxford heated grips which I haven't yet tested. The way they're connected to the bike looks a bit bodged so that needs a bit of a fix, I think. Finally, the 500 was 2015 vintage and had a nice digital instrument display; my CBF is a 2010 model and the instrument display is analogue and I can barely read the numbers. I'll adapt no doubt.

Can't wait to get out on the road for a good run. The bike is a beauty and is just begging to be ridden. Looking forward to chatting with other members of the forum.

Mr W (Mark)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Evening, all ...
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:17:40 AM »
Welcome Mark

You'll find everything you want to know about the CBF1000 via the search function

Happy Days

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2019, 02:51:20 AM »
 :405:

This site is a great resource with some fine people who know a TON about the CBF.

Glad you're here. Welcome from Canada!
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by MrW [+]
I was really hoping there might be a gear indicator but there isn't - can one be fitted, I wonder?
Mr W (Mark)

:401:

Get one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Gear-Indicator-6-Speed-LED-Digital-Shift-Lever-Sensors-For-Honda-FST/303246604705?hash=item469ae7f9a1:g:-H0AAOSwwrFdSnuk

(You can get these indicators with the LED lights in different colours, i.e red, blue, green, but the general consensus of opinion would suggest stick with red for best all round visibility in all weathers and any time of day).
Obviously though, your bike, your choice.

Read this:

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,21918.msg254081.html#msg254081

:028:

« Last Edit: 16 August, 2019, 10:28:26 AM by Shed »

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:42:03 PM »
Plug already attached on this one here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Plug-and-play-1-6-Level-Red-LED-Motorcycle-Gear-Indicator-For-Honda/183147611298?hash=item2aa472c4a2:g:gp8AAOSwRChauIYc

(They don't usually have any writing on the unit, i.e. 'GEAR' is most likely not there, just blank).
Delivery from China is usually 2-3 weeks.

« Last Edit: 16 August, 2019, 11:46:00 PM by Shed »

Online stu1000

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »
Crikey, 26 quid for something that cost the Chinese about 2 quid to make... Hats off to them.

Offline MrW

• Bike: CBF1000A-T
  • City / Town: Godalming
« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2019, 02:28:48 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies. Gear indicator ordered - I agree, bloody rip off as usual. USB socket is a sensible price. Cheers, Mark

diverse-leafy