Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flywheel kits/generators and prices for mk1  (Read 447 times)

Offline Kamboskid

• Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
Flywheel kits/generators and prices for mk1
« on: 14 August, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »
Hi, Saw this thread earlier on but was recommended to start fresh topic. I have a 2007 model and to cut to the Chase while touring in Greece experienced battery run down (its new). The local Honda dealer said the flywheel has too much magnetic power and it affects the generator so not charging the battery.It was the subject of an extended warranty but the dealer who last serviced the bike decided not to change the defect. What is the cost of a new kit these days? Any info or comments appreciated.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Flywheel kits/generators and prices for mk1
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
As posted on your other thread https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?topic=22470.msg257530#msg257530

A quick eBay search reveals direct fit stators for 2006-2011 SC58 Honda CBF1000's for less than £40.00 from China (£50 for UK stock), M&P now asking £109.00 for the Electrosport stator.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »
The Stator is the weak link on the bike. Honda replaced them under warranty for the first 7 years of the bike, so yours is unfortunately probably not covered. A new Stator is about £100 and it's an easy DIY fix. A new regulator/rectifier is about £65 and is worth changing at the same time (if you have any doubts that the reg/rec is knackered).

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2019, 06:39:33 PM »
Mine gave up the ghost in the middle of nowhere a couple of weeks ago,had new stator and rectifier fitted plus a coolant flush and change all for a total of £280 plus VAT at our local bike shop (Which I trust far more than a dealer.)Hopefully that's going to last for a few years,bike is 09 with just 20,000 miles.

Offline lucas

• Bike: cbf1000
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:06:06 PM »
mine also died today in Central London. Had to push the beast about 1.5km to the nearest free parking bay that i know of.

How much are you guys paying for repairs?

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »
They are very easy to change, but if you go to a bike shop I reckon 1 hour maximum for labour.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
If you book it into a workshop (bike shop) don't be surprised if the the labour isn't nearer two or three hours and the job may take several days to complete. As they should endeavour to do a proper job and test the charging system to properly diagnose the fault and attempt to identify the root cause, order in and wait for the parts to be delivered. Fit the parts and re-test the charging system to be sure they correctly diagnosed the fault in the first instance.

Its a very simple DIY job requiring the minimum of tools that I've heard tell wouldn't be a challenge for a seven year old armed with the under seat toolkit, multimeter and a tube of RTV sealant to complete working kerbside!

Offline Kamboskid

• Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
Hi, as I write my biffer is in the local (Chios) Honda dealer shop, awaiting the arrival of said parts from whereever (Athens maybe) apparently the stator burnt out, an easy fix but a reconditioned part can be used. I am told the flywheel was upgraded in the past before I bought it this year. At the time of purchase (Feb 2019) there was only 16,700 kms on the clock and the last service was done in 2012 at 13,044 kms! so not a lot of use in the last 7 years! I am wondering if those two facts are linked? Just a thought!

Regards KK

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
It could be, if these facts are correct:- Last service was 2012, so seven-year old oil.

How many miles/km has it run (to date/to the failure) ?

Well at least now you'll be doing, as a minimum, an oil and filter change to clear out the bits.
I do wonder what else the bike needs.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

diverse-leafy