Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Charging issues under warranty  (Read 162 times)

Offline Kamboskid

• Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
Charging issues under warranty
« on: 14 August, 2019, 04:34:44 AM »
Hi, just had a breakdown while in Greece. Told by local Honda dealer that this model had a factory defect on the flywheel that will kill the generator over a time. They issued an instruction that they could be replaced under warranty and extended that for 5 years. Sadly the dealer that serviced my bike in 2012 didn't do that. Wonder what my position would be?Comments please!

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Charging issues under warranty
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
After a number of failures Honda extended the stator warranty to 7 years and as far as I know Honda have never revealed the root cause of those failures and it wasn't an official recall. To get the warranty replacement the stator had to have failed. There have been many posts on this forum on the subject of stator failure with no conclusion to the root cause. All MKI (SC58) models are now outside of that extended warranty period.

My stator failure theory is that there is too little clearance inside the original flywheel for the stator especially when the engine runs hot for extended periods. When my stator failed at 31,180 miles is was immediately after a 4 hour hot English summer's day sortie of stop start riding in heavy Central London traffic, possible the proverbial straw. I just replaced the stator for a £95.00 Electrosport offering from M&P in Wales via their UK eBay shop. If that fails after another 30,000 miles I'll chalk it up as the cost of motoring after all its less than ½p per mile!

A quick eBay search reveals direct fit stators for 2006-2011 SC58 Honda CBF1000's for less than £40.00 from China (£50 for UK stock), M&P now asking £109.00 for the Electrosport stator.
« Last Edit: 14 August, 2019, 09:28:55 AM by Art »

Offline Kamboskid

• Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
Re: Charging issues under warranty
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2019, 04:29:11 PM »
 Thanks for your response Art, your experience coincides with my experience,running the bike in hot weather in Greece just last week. The local Honda told me about the warranty call and its pretty much expired now. As you mentioned it seems Honda policy was if its still working don't fix it,so my machine was overlooked when it was last serviced 7 years ago!! I kid you not! Just 20k showing on the clock now and I did 3000 of them since February of this year when I bought it,looks like the flywheel is the culprit!