Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hugger or no hugger  (Read 1898 times)

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Hugger or no hugger
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:50:48 AM »
I did mine in situ with Hammerite silver in February but you may have inspired me to remove it and do it again in black, the black just looks right and will look even righter with my gloss black hugger/chain guard. I got some paint in too for the stands which are looking pretty grim, I'm probably going to need some more now.

What is that white plug dangling? It looks as if it is a charging lead that plugs into another connector just below the seat. If it lives there permanently give it a coat of that black paint and cable tie it in with the rest of the loom it dangles by. While you're there with the cable ties tidy up the rear brake light switch and wiring, it just looks proper messy! Why am I being so critical because my mo'cycle hasn't been that clean since it left Newcombe Brothers.

Offline SteveS

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
I did mine in situ with Hammerite silver in February but you may have inspired me to remove it and do it again in black, the black just looks right and will look even righter with my gloss black hugger/chain guard. I got some paint in too for the stands which are looking pretty grim, I'm probably going to need some more now.

What is that white plug dangling? It looks as if it is a charging lead that plugs into another connector just below the seat. If it lives there permanently give it a coat of that black paint and cable tie it in with the rest of the loom it dangles by. While you're there with the cable ties tidy up the rear brake light switch and wiring, it just looks proper messy! Why am I being so critical because my mo'cycle hasn't been that clean since it left Newcombe Brothers.

The plug you can see is the optimate charger (and accessories) plug and is usually hidden.

I would recommend removing the swinging arm as it really is not a difficult job and gives you a chance to check and clean other areas that are normally difficult to access. I actually bought a used one off eBay for £25 and de rusted and painted that one before removing the rusty one as I wasn’t expected to have to keep off the road for an extended period. An added benefit is that I now have a spare to refurbish if I need to.

The Honda hugger is not very efficient in my opinion. On refitting it I used some rubber washers between the hugger and swinging arm where the brake pipe clamps are. As this allows water to escape as opposed to trapping it. I suspect your one is aftermarket and a better design.

Good luck

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
Yes, after market hugger. Never taken too much notice of it but it is longer and a closer fit around the tyre than yours.

I'm in the middle of relaying some decking at the moment but as soon as that is done I could be on the swinging arm, subject to her indoors not having another 'little' task for me.

Offline SteveS

• CBF Member
« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2020, 01:51:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Yes, after market hugger. Never taken too much notice of it but it is longer and a closer fit around the tyre than yours.

I'm in the middle of relaying some decking at the moment but as soon as that is done I could be on the swinging arm, subject to her indoors not having another 'little' task for me.

Blimey ....... at I thought I was the only one subject to a list of projects by the “powers that be”. I find the best course of action is to nip into my garage “to get some more tools” which of course take a while to locate!

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2020, 06:14:44 PM »
The swinging arm is off and its had its first coat. In the spirit of 'use what you have on the shelf' I'm brush painting it with Hammerite's Direct to Rust satin black. Its what was left over after the worst job I ever had, painting LB Newham council houses in an effort to spruce up the image of the area prior to the 2012 Olympic Games. No we wasn't painting the houses with Hammerite it was just for the wrought iron dustbin shed handles.

I know Hammerite give this paint a 2 year shelf life and the can is now a teenager but so is my CBF!

Offline SteveS

• CBF Member
« Reply #15 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:02:45 AM »
Good luck with it. How about some photos when your done.

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #16 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »
Its not been without issues. The hugger and drive chain slider screws appear to have been fitted using a high strength threadlock, red tell tales about the threads, removing these by means of heat was not an option due to brake lines etc. Its a simple job that has been a proper pain, at least now I've got as far as paint, second coat will be going on this morning.

Here's the centre stand sporting the first coat of Hammerite gloss black in situ. It will be coming off for two coats of satin and greasing the pivot shaft when the swingarm is back on, same treatment for the side stand which will more or less empty the satin black paint pot.

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #17 on: 21 April, 2020, 11:48:24 AM »
Second coat is on and to be honest its not looking as good as I'd like. I could do with some better lighting in the garage but I think the main problem here is with the brush on Hammerite. It is such a difficult paint to achieve a smooth finish with, I'm not getting any runs but the brush strokes are visible.

If a light rub and third coat doesn't come out any better I may have to surrender to laying out some hard earned on a rattle can or two.

Online Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »
Well between painting fences, gates, sheds, garden furniture and anything else outback that didn't move I finally got the job done. Took it down to Asda by way of a test ride and to fill the tank, less than £1 per litre!

All is good, the brush applied Hammerite looks better on than off and I'll accept it for what it is but if I was to do it again it would have to be with a rattle can. The bearings were all good unlike the fasteners. It appears some monkey boy had fitted them using a high strength threadlock resulting in 2 bolts that had to be drilled out and another 5 that had to be replaced as they were found to have rounded heads or damaged threads. Fortunately I have experience in removing mullered fasteners and a full selection of AF, WW and other tools to deal with such things. The job got done with minimal cursing and here is the swingarm, side stand and centre all Hammerited and re-fitted.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
Hi,Art."mullered" is a lovely word.Not really sure of its origins but suspect it goes back to WW1/2. Very interested in your methods in dealing with fasteners that think they can defy us in their efforts to stay put.  Of course , they do have a soul &  much will & are not to be insulted or treated without due respect! ( Goes for most of us of course). When I attack the immoveable fastener I am always equipped with,1.WD40 ,2.Overnight Penetration(not  sexual)3.Heat source,Power drill  set to percussion /reverse  torque ,the obviously correct fitting tool bit( including the correct sized Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) screwdriver , extractors,and an irresistable determination to overcome.

Failing this,  I would arrange for  the total  destruction  of the  offending items in  a public place! :046: