Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hugger or no hugger  (Read 1904 times)

Offline SteveS

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
Hugger or no hugger
« on: 10 August, 2019, 04:56:14 PM »
Quick question ......... hugger or no hugger?
On removing the hugger on my newly acquired CBF itís not a pretty sight underneath. The bikes generally in great condition but with a hugger fitted this area is out of sight and impossible to keep clean. I guess itís good for keeping spray off certain areas but seemingly at a price ......... any thoughts comments appreciated

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Re: Hugger or no hugger
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »
Hi SteveS.Does the cruddy appearance on the invisible underside of the Hugger in any way affect the bike's operation? Ed.

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
The damage (what looks to be rust) is not caused by the huger but rather by the previous owners lack of maintenance around this area when it comes cleaning.

Get some sandpaper, a wire brush or/and some sanding blocks and scrub away at the rust until your hearts content, and then -- and only then -- can you make an assessment on how bad the rust is on the swingarm.

In truth I'd probably sand it off and then spray it with some Halfords spray paint or alike, and if bothers you that much look for a mint swingarm on eBay.

Having a huger fitted will save you a world of hurt when it comes to cleaning your bike post winter -- if you ride in winter or rain -- and keeping it clean generally. If you keep it removed, and based on the condition of UK roads, you'll be rusting away that rear shock in no time at all. Hugers are useful and removing one doesn't take that long.

Once you've done the sanding and painting (on a warm day, or on any day -- and air dried -- if inside) then coat the swingarm in ACF-50 like there's no tomorrow (underside included).

edit: check tightness of rear resivour mounting bolt too (1/4 screwdriver + socket as don't want to over-tighten, or a 1/4 ratchet): just a tip, and is generally best to go through all the tightness of the fasteners when getting a used bike.
« Last Edit: 10 August, 2019, 06:39:42 PM by NJD »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2019, 06:49:37 PM »
Yes to the hugger. Hammerite paint, rattle can or brush on, for the swinging arm once you've prepared it and prep it you must even though its claimed to be a direct to rust metal paint you really should prep it for a proper job.

Offline SteveS

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
I finally got around to painting my swinging arm as I'm unable to use the bike at the moment.

Stripping the back end down was far less of a chore than I expected. I decided to strip it right down and give everything a good clean and service. It took a couple of hours max to strip.

I would have preferred to match the original colour but in the spirit of lockdown I decided to use what I had laying around (a can of primer and satin black). Iím not too disappointed with the outcome. Fortunately bearings etc where all go so just greased and reassembled carefully so as not to damage the new paint!. Everything liberally doused in ACF50 (I apply it using my small compressor) before refitting the hugger.

Just a final few bits to finish now

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2020, 08:17:37 AM »
Very nice, Iím looking to do mine in carbon. Thanks for sharing  :028:
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2020, 09:57:28 AM »
Tidy job.  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »
Happy Days

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »
Thats really strange because I have been contemplating the same job in the same colour. I think I read that Rustoleum paint worked well for this too. Maybe Iíll keep the Biffer a little longer then. Looks nice in black.

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2020, 12:50:05 AM »
Kudos for going to the length of removing the swingarm given it could, technically, be repaired / painted in situ with the rear wheel removed.

Looks like a good finish on the paint from the photo you post.

Hopefully you'll benefit from the smoothness of freshly greased swingarm and suspension pivots during your next ride.  :152:

diverse-leafy