Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help me plan my September tour of the north of England  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Help me plan my September tour of the north of England
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2019, 12:42:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by pedro [+]
There's not too much time for taking in the Lake District with the itinerary you've already got. But thankfully in September, the roads will be mostly clear of the visitors. If you want to do a whistle-stop tour, which could lead onwards and upwards from North Yorkshire and Devil's Bridge, head towards Kendal and take the A591 up through the lakes to Keswick. You'll pass through/by Ambleside, Grasmere and Windermere and ride along four of the best known lakes. Depending on time, you could stop in Keswick. A chocolate-box town with plenty of choice accommodation-wise and some excellent pubs and restaurants. If you wanted to push on a bit further, you could take the fast A66 to Penrith to spend the night, which is more central for the next day's adventure.

Going up the A591, it won't be a question of when should you stop for a look at the scenery, it'll be how many times do you want to and you'll still wish you had stopped more!
Going through the Lakes is a slow ride, except for that great road A6 from Kendal to Keswick - just watch out for speeding checks! Around Whitby there are plenty of speed checks s too many 'bikers' think they are on a race track. Great countryside. I suggest you reduce your daily mileage to around 200-250 miles if you want to see anything!

Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
Thanks Ken, but I am law abiding to the max   :007:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline VanquishedWombat

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA ABS
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #12 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:10:15 AM »
Started to write a few suggestions then found myself getting carried away what with Google maps and street view! I spent a lot of time travelling around the northern hills in my youth, and jumping off them strapped to a hang glider. Now living on the South coast...I think you've gone and inspired me to include this trip in my own future travels.

Get yourself to the M6 Jn 14 Stafford North.

From Stafford head to Stone (A34) Not pretty yet.

Then Stone - Leek (A520) Getting prettier

Leek - Buxton (A53) - much better

* Cat & Fiddle pub is on the A54 & A537 sharp left as you arrive over Buxton. Worth a look at a much reverred bikers road.

From Buxton, head North on A6 turning right onto A623 (Chesterfield ?) then left at The Wanted Inn corner (where main road takes acute right-hander) heading to Blue John mine and Castleton.

Take dramatic Winnats Pass (I s**t you not) toward Castleton.

Continue to Hope (A6187) then on to Bamford where you take a left toward  (A6103) to meet the Snake Pass where it passes the Ladybower Reservoir made famous by the Dam Busters practice runs.

At this point you are into the High Peak area and you can choose to take the A57 west toward Manchester or east toward Sheffield. In either case set your satnav for Holmefirth - you could go due north but Kinder Scout is in the way!

The westerly route gives you the run of the Snake Pass scenery passing through the moors where mass-trespasses eventually gave us the right to roam, and on to Glossop.

The easterly route is possibly more pretty – I leave you to decide. Neither will disappoint.

From Holmefirth we head NNW toward far-off Clitheroe.  Take the Meltham - Marsden - Delph - Denshaw - Newhey - Milnrow route then kiss the eastern edge of Rochdale and head to Whitworth - Bacup - Weir - Pagham and then heave a sigh of wonder as you leave the urban sprawl and traffic and approach Pendle Hill (famous for witches named Elizabeth & Alice Nutter in 1600's), passing through Sabden to arrive in Clitheroe.

From Clitheroe continue on the B6478 toward Waddington - Newton in Bowland - Slaidburn and Bentham.  This is the Trough of Bowland, a much overlooked area of Northern beauty.

[Side note: If you are time-starved and don't have time for the Peak district or Trough of Bowland then take the M6 to just north of Lancaster and then take the A683 to Hornby and then Ingleton. Its a great road!]

From Bentham turn east toward Ingleton and proceed to the tee junction with A65.  The imposing Hill ahead of you is Ingleborough - one of Yorlshire's Three Peaks. Yes you are briefly in Yorkshire! As a detour, the B6255 running to the NE from Ingleton is a lovely journey beside stone walls with Ingleborough on the right. After a few miles you get The Old Hill Inn on the right then you'll see the Ribble Head viaduct on the right, and shortly the Station Inn. Explore until saturated.

Returning to Ingleton, now heading for the Lakes, take the A65 NW towards Cowan Bridge and Kirkby Lonsdale, staying on the A65 and eventually approaching the M6 but following the A65 to Crosslands just prior, or the B6385 just after the motorway junction to the same place. The A65 is the scenic route to Kendal. You 'could' be tempted at this point to head West to the Southern tip of Windermere at Newby Bridge hoping the south-north roads up either the western or eastern bank of the lake would be picturesque but sadly the west route is incomplete and the east has woods to both sides and does not offer the kind of view you get beside a Scottish loch, and you'll be having lots of impressive scenery moments soon so avoid the disappointment of the detour.

[Trivia question - how many lakes in the Lake district ? Answer - one, the rest are 'mere' or 'water'.]

Leave Kendle on the A5284, continuing on this road by taking exit 2 (signposted Hawkshead via ferry) at the roundabout with the A591.  After a scenic ride, at the tee junction with the A5074, go left then right onto the B5285 to Hawkshead. At then next tee take a right onto the A592 to Bowness. This is as urban as the Lakes gets so expect traffic. As you trundle into the town look left for the marina, pleasure cruises depart from here regularly. Bowness itself is pretty, well-kept and small.   

To get over mingling with all those people, head for the A591 and Ambleside, the second city of the glorious Lake District.  Don't miss the left at the roundabout with the A592. The road between here and Ambleside is where you'll get some decent views of the lake (err, mere!). Proceed through Ambleside following the A591 to Rydal & Keswick. This part of the route affords great views of Rydal Water, Grasmere, and Thirlmere as you pass Helvellyn on your right.

Arriving at Keswick, northern metropolis of the Lakes, we'll be heading along the A66 toward Penrith. If you have some time, the larger loop following the A591 to Bassenthwaite, then turning for Uldale and Hesket Market is worthwhile - make your own way to Penrith.

From Penrith take the A66 south past Appleby-in-Westmoreland (site of often riotous yearly travellers horse fair), then taking a right turn onto the B6259 for Kirkby Stephen. Before reaching Kirkby Stephen you join the A685 but be ready to jump off again to the left to re-join the B6259 to Nateby.

At Nateby you have a choice – either stick with the B6259 then A684 for Hawes, or take the B6270 toward Swaledale where you will see a left hand turn for Tann Hill where the 4 mile detour will deliver you to the famous pub of the same name.  If you take this route, then retrace your steps from Tan Hill and continue to Thwaite where you fork right for Hawes.

Pass through Hawes and stay on the A684 to Aysgarth (famous waterfalls) and onward to Leyburn. From Leyburn we are jumping to Masham on the A6108 then the B6267 toward Thirsk. Shortly after crossing the A1 take the A61 onward into Thirsk entering with the famous race course on the left. Pass through Thirsk taking the A170 to Helmsley, climbing the famous Sutton Bank with the gliding club above it one the ridge. Stop in at the gliding field for a cuppa and flight maybe ?   
Continue on the A170 till you can go no further east - you have arrived at Scarborough.  Time for chips & an ice cream.

From Scarborough take the A165 to Bridlington, then Beverley where you pick up the A164 to cross the Humber Bridge on the A15.
From here maybe Wrawby and Brigg to pick up the A15 again at Redbourne and follow it to Lincoln, followed by the A46 to Newark-on-Trent (more horse racing) and Leicester, then Narborough and the B4114 briefly turning left onto the A5 before a right at High Cross to join the Fosse Way B4455 heading homeward toward cider country. 

After Stow-on-the-Wold, take the A429 to Cirencester and follow you nose home.

Hope you enjoyed the ride!

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »
Wow, brilliant write up and a stunning tour. I have covered quite a bit of that over the years but not in one go. Enjoyed the read and the memories

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
All good stuff apart from mention of the Mad 6 (M6) but you've got to get North of Watford somehow. Maybe a little late to the party but my preferred route across The Peak District would be leaving the Mad 6 at junction 17...

A57 Congleton towards Buxton turn left onto A537
A537 towards Macclesfield (Cat & Fiddle Inn) right onto Bull Hill Lane signposted 'Rainow' then right again onto B5470
B5470 towards Whaley Bridge turn right onto A5004
A5004 into Buxton exit Buxton on A6 signposted Matlock and Manchester right onto A623
A623 to Sparrowpit and left over Winnats Pass to Bamford and left onto A6013
A6013 to Ladybower Viaduct and left onto A57 (Snake Pass tea hut) to Glossop
and you're 40 miles to Hebden Bridge.

Hartside Top Cafe, Alston Road, Alston CA9 3BW now closed due to fire but well worth the ride up and down the A686, some even take a picnic to sit and enjoy the views. Other places North of Watford to partake in refreshments where motorcyclists congregate include

Super Sausage Cafe, 35 Watling St, Potterspury, Towcester NN12 7WD
Cat & Fiddle Inn, Buxton Rd, Macclesfield SK11 0AR
Snake Pass Tea Hut, Snake Road midway on the A57 between Sheffield and Glossop nearest postcode S33 0AQ
Squires Cafe, Newthorpe Lane, Newthorpe, Leeds LS25 5LX (camping on site 01977 684 618)
The Manor Bikers Cafe, Unit S, Manor Farm, Bellerby DL8 5QH
The Chippy, Market Place, Hawes DL8 3QX
The Tea Hut, Devils Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale LA6 2ND

Enjoy your trip
« Last Edit: 03 September, 2019, 11:42:49 AM by Art »

Offline stu1000

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
Cat and Fiddle pub is still closed when I went past a few weeks ago.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »
I need to get out more. Cat and Fiddle closed until further notice - Robinsons Brewery.
« Last Edit: 03 September, 2019, 01:42:36 PM by Art »

Offline VanquishedWombat

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA ABS
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »
Cat & Fiddle may be closed but the road between Buxton and Macclesfield is still a great ride.

Offline Peterjohn

• CBF Master
  • Bike: ZZR1400
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2019, 10:05:30 PM »
Hi..I’m in Darlington and have an extensive knowledge of the Dales North York Moors Scottish Boarders..If you are interested I’ll send you my contact details..There is a fee.. You buy the coffee lol..👍
Dum Spiro Spero

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #19 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:49:08 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions, I will study more closely when I get the time.
Still hope to go this month but currently in a holding pattern waiting for a better weather window  :190:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

diverse-leafy