Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help me plan my September tour of the north of England  (Read 365 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Help me plan my September tour of the north of England
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2019, 12:42:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by pedro [+]
There's not too much time for taking in the Lake District with the itinerary you've already got. But thankfully in September, the roads will be mostly clear of the visitors. If you want to do a whistle-stop tour, which could lead onwards and upwards from North Yorkshire and Devil's Bridge, head towards Kendal and take the A591 up through the lakes to Keswick. You'll pass through/by Ambleside, Grasmere and Windermere and ride along four of the best known lakes. Depending on time, you could stop in Keswick. A chocolate-box town with plenty of choice accommodation-wise and some excellent pubs and restaurants. If you wanted to push on a bit further, you could take the fast A66 to Penrith to spend the night, which is more central for the next day's adventure.

Going up the A591, it won't be a question of when should you stop for a look at the scenery, it'll be how many times do you want to and you'll still wish you had stopped more!
Going through the Lakes is a slow ride, except for that great road A6 from Kendal to Keswick - just watch out for speeding checks! Around Whitby there are plenty of speed checks s too many 'bikers' think they are on a race track. Great countryside. I suggest you reduce your daily mileage to around 200-250 miles if you want to see anything!

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
Re: Help me plan my September tour of the north of England
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
Thanks Ken, but I am law abiding to the max   :007:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

diverse-leafy