Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front brake service  (Read 226 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Front brake service
« on: 02 August, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
Finally got a round tuit this morning. The old pads had about 1 mm left to the wear indicator and the brake fluid hasn't been changed in over 4 years. This is not an how to its how I do it.

A goodly clean of the front brake calipers, pad springs, pistons and pad pins in a bucket of soapy water with tooth brush, well worn scotch pad and a bargain 500 ml can of Triple QX brake & clutch cleaner from Eurocar Parts at just £3.49!

Replaced the front disc pads with another set of Brenta FT3081 standard GG disc pads from Wemoto and another bargain at £12.00 per pair. I find these to be great all round pads for touring, commuting, funday Sundays and service life. A smear of copper grease on the pad lugs and pad backing as well as on the bolt and pin threads, a smear of white silicone grease to the pad pin ends all applied from the ends of a cotton bud so as not to over do it and it keeps my fingers clean.

Replaced the brake fluid with 1L Pagid DOT 4 brake fluid from Euro Car Parts £9.49. My way is to use the new fluid to flush the old fluid out. When doing the rear brake I remove the master cylinder and stand it on a wad of rag to give easier access for topping up, for the front I just wrap the master cylinder in plenty of rag to catch any spillage. The kit I use is home made and comprises of a 500 ml sauce bottle with a 7 mm hole in the lid for the bleed tube and a 3 mm hole as a vent. With the bleed tube fitted through the sauce bottle lid and attached to the bleed nipple I apply the brake, open the nipple and then pump the brake with the nipple remaining open until the bleeding of that nipple is complete. I don't worry about air syphoning back into the caliper, I just give the brake about 15 full pumps by which time the air in the bleed tube has been expelled by the flushed fluid and so long as the end of the tube is in the bottom of the sauce bottle and is kept submerged in fluid there is no back syphoning of air. I keep pumping the brake until clean fresh fluid appears in the tube, this usually takes between 150 to 250 ml of brake fluid, topping up the reservoir after every 15 to 20 pumps on the brake. The sequence I bleed the system is

Rear brake reservoir - front right centre, rear lower, rear upper
Front brake reservoir - front right upper, front left upper

Proper job and two hours well spent, good to go for another 20,000 miles
« Last Edit: 02 August, 2019, 05:20:23 PM by Art »

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Re: Front brake service
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »
Very good Art, but I usually supplement with a little Simple Green (citrus cleaner), and only use brake cleaner on the pads.  Best thing to clean the caliper pistons is using brake fluid and a toothbrush, certain brake cleaners can harden seals.  I don't use any grease in exposed areas so dirt is not attracted, best dry IMHO.  You can shorten the bleed time if you install SpeedBleeders, a regular bleeder screw but with a spring-loaded ball valve and have a thread sealer to prevent air from going back into the caliper.  Need to make me one of your bleed reservoirs, thanks for the tip.  Tired of kicking over my old glass peanut butter jar, LOL.

Of course, I always do the clutch at the same time to keep it in top notch operation, check and lube the brass bushing in the lever with silicone grease (wont wash out).  I do both brakes and clutch annually, although most OEM's recommend two years.
« Last Edit: 05 August, 2019, 07:00:54 PM by raYzerman »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Front brake service
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2019, 12:58:28 AM »
Always interesting to hear how others tackle the procedure. I think the industry is very cautious on brake fluid service life. I didn't plan to replace the brake fluid until I saw it. When I replace pads I always bleed a little fluid off at the caliper just to see the condition of the fluid at the business end. It wasn't looking good so it had to go. Yes, the clutch fluid was done too, flushed 250 ml through the system using the same method as the brakes. The way I flush and bleed speed bleeders wouldn't be any quicker because I apply the brake, open the nipple and pump the fluid through without closing the nipple until the flushing and bleeding is completed in one operation. Not a method suited to everyone and care must be taken to keep the fluid moving and the reservoir topped up.